I’m very tied up with the February issue right now, and I had to wait to see how this played out before we go to print. I’m just going to put a bit here for now to give you an idea, there is a lot more to come.
Sue taylor and I met with Mayor Craig to discuss some of our concerns about the Enbridge Pipeline, and he subsequently met with Enbridge officials.
The officials have convinced Mayor Craig he has nothing to worry about, and the mayor doesn’t think it’s a Cambridge problem.
I don’t agree.
We have been looking into this for over six months, and there is no doubt that we are not prepared for what could be the biggest ecological disaster in Canadian history.
We have been watching our water pipes break with increasing frequency. just this week a broken sewage pipe in Kitchener leaked into the drinking water, leading to a boiled water advisory.
These oil pipes were built at the same time as our crumbling water pipes.
The pipes are monitored 24 hours a day…from Edmonton.
The pipes are inspected visually…from an airplane.
The Mayor claims it’s not a “Cambridge Problem,” but this is from the City of Cambridge Website, including the piece about Walkerton, and it makes me wonder if we deserve to be “Groundwater Guardians.”. (The Irony)
After all, the line doesn’t actually run through Cambridge, it’s not our fault that we happen to be the closest city. Let the places downstream worry about it.
From the City of Cambridge Website
Tags: city of cambridge, Mayor Craig
For ten years, the work of the Cambridge WATERS Committee has been recognized by the Groundwater Foundation when they have designated Cambridge as a Groundwater Guardian community. At present, Cambridge is the only community in Canada designated as a Groundwater Guardian community, joining over 150 American communities. Visit the Groundwater Foundation website
Cambridge Groundwater Facts
The City of Cambridge is situated in the heart of Southern Ontario, Canada, approximately a one hour drive west of Toronto, and a three hour drive northeast of Detroit. The City is a local area municipality within the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, the largest urban area dependent upon groundwater in Canada. Cambridge is situated at the confluence of the Grand and Speed rivers which are important sources of drinking water for a number of communities. Underlying bedrock aquifers supply most of the drinking water to Cambridge (population 130,000) as well as to the other municipalities within the Regional Municipality of Waterloo (which has a total population of approximately 500,000). The City relies on twenty-seven water supply wells up to 60 metres (200 feet) deep. The highest producing wells occur in the heart of the City and these supply almost half of the water used by residents and industries. Many of these wells date back to the 1900’s with the first wells being drilled in 1891. Approximately 80% of the water consumption in the City is drawn from groundwater. The remaining 20% comes from the Grand River and is pumped into the Manheim aquifer and mixed with groundwater before distribution. Although this precious resource is relied upon as our source of drinking water, other water uses place a great strain on its availability. However, attitudes towards water usage and conservation have begun to change with the recent water restriction by-laws, educational activities and events, and very successful incentive programs (rainbarrels, high-efficiency toilet replacement programs, among others).
The Big Groundwater Picture
Walkerton is a small town of about 6,000 people that is only a 1.5 hour drive north-west of Cambridge. And like Cambridge it too is dependent on groundwater as its source of drinking water. In May 2000, several serious flaws in Walkerton’s municipal drinking water system resulted in seven deaths and more than 2,300 cases of waterborne disease affecting almost half the residents of the town. As a result of that tragedy a public inquiry identified the need for government actions and planning that focused on “source water protection” at the watershed / regional level in the Province of Ontario. Cambridge WATERS has created displays and information materials, in partnership with the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, and looks forward to greater involvement in other source water protection efforts.