7 Responses to All Candidates Meeting Tonight

1. Margaret Barr October 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm

This is an informative all-candidates meeting. Those who can attend, should do so; if you’re interested in ‘social issues’which, hopefully, all of us are….

To my knowledge it is not televised.

2. Steve Currier October 14, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Damn, I forgot all about it. Hopefully someone who is there will come on here and tell us about it.

3. scot October 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm

With no discussion on Drayton,LRT,City Hall,taxes or water rates (social issues only) it was a pretty dull affair.

4. Colin Carmichael October 14, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I don’t know if I would go so far as to say it was a “dull” affair, Scot. It was certainly well-attended – standing room only. I did happen to notice that I was the sole WRDSB candidate in attendance.

The greatest benefit might have been the hallway conversations before and after each session. The folks I talked to were most receptive to my ideas around smaller, greener, digital schools.

5. @bretthagey October 15, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’m glad I got a commitment from our current mayor concerning streaming taped open council sessions to the Internet. It was a great opportunity to talk with constituents about pressing social matters.

In the Ward 5 discussions I talked about the paradox that people in subsidized housing have been in for over 20 years. These folks can’t save a down payment for a house while they are ‘in the system,’ they can’t have any kind of savings whatsoever. This is an important issue, and we got some good response from the folks there on it.

6. Colin Carmichael October 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

I found the streaming comment interesting as well – especially since I committed to exactly the same thing for the WRDSB in this recent blog post: http://cambridgepublicschools.ca/ending-school-board-secrecy/

7. @bretthagey October 15, 2010 at 10:01 am

You’re exactly right, Colin, we’ve got to keep on top of this after the election, for the school boards and the city as well. It’s a great tool for education in itself, students will be able to see and discuss local government, it could open up a whole new avenue for curriculum.