The former Right House Department Store, 60 Main St., Cambridge
Open to the Public Nov. 17 & 18 from 1- 4 pm
Special Pre-Show History and Art Talks – Enjoy a $5 Gourmet BOX Lunch!
BOX is …
- An award winning regional visual arts event; designed by artists for artists.
- A unique annual juried group show & sale, now in its fourth year of supporting local visual artists.
- A springboard, resource and support system, valued by new, emerging and established artists.
- Organized by a group of highly committed and skilled volunteers, supported by community expertise.
- Not for profit, founded on mutually beneficial community partnerships.
- Fun! Energetic, friendly, and inclusive. Free for artists and guests of all ages.
- Successful! BOX 11 artists sold 58 artworks valued at almost $25,000, enjoyed by over 1300 guests.
BOX promotes and assists local artists, enhances visual arts education and appreciation, supports other charitable organizations, and celebrates historical roots of creativity.
- The BOX event is designed to be respectful of artists’ time and resources.
- The BOX artists are chosen by professional visual arts jurors using a unique two stage process.
- The selected juried BOX artists pay nothing to participate in the November BOX event.
- These artists are supported for a full year with mentoring, additional opportunities and assistance.
- BOX contributes to the higher standards evolving for local talent and arts production.
Each year BOX partners with a different charitable organization in our Region and invites a member of that organization to join our curatorial team. This charity receives a percent of all the BOX event art sales. Langs is the BOX 12 Charity Partner, with Executive Director Bill Davidson as Guest Curator. On Fri. Nov. 16, BOX will host a preview reception for the BOX 12 Guest Curator’s 350 invited guests.
BOX offers a unique and welcoming opportunity for visitors of all ages and levels to learn more about visual art and art appreciation. The use of historic venues and preparations by the BOX artists create an inviting atmosphere for informal discussion and the BOX Art Talk. The BOX venue changes yearly and its history is researched and presented at the much-loved BOX History Talk.
BOX 12 History Talk – “The History of Main Street Galt” with Bob Green; author of Eavesdroppings and It Takes All Kinds; and Jim Quantrell, former City of Cambridge Archivist. Perimeter Development Corporation, owners of 60 Main Street, will host this panel discussion; a wonderful combination of Jim’s historical facts and pictures with Bob’s fascinating, humorous stories.
Sat. Nov. 17 from 11:30 am to 12:45 pm. Doors open at 11:00 am. Free. Open to the Public.
BOX 12 Art Talks – BOX 12 Jurors Mary Misner, Suzanne Luke and Soheila Esfahani offer two Art Talks!
10:30 to 11:30 am – Topics of particular interest to all visual artists – making art and the business of art.
12:00 to 12:45 pm. – A comparative look at BOX 12 artwork – great arts education from these experts!
Sun. Nov. 18 from 10:30 am to 12:45 pm. Doors open at 10:00 am. Free. Open to the Public.
Pre-order a $5 Gourmet BOX lunch in October at www.boxartshow.ca to be delivered to the venue for your enjoyment during the BOX 12 Talks!
BOX is grateful for the wonderful help given by Perimeter Development Corporation, Bill Davidson and Langs, Mary Misner and Cambridge Galleries, Cambridge Centre for the Arts, Waterloo Architecture, GRFF, artists and galleries in Hespeler, Preston and Galt; Downtown Cambridge BIA and merchants, E.V.O. Kitchens, Cambridge Citizen, Cambridge Times, and the BOX 12 Jurors and Talk participants.
Contact BOX Cathy Farwell, Founder and General Organizer