30 Responses to Conor Gains Band gets $1500 Grant from city to compete in music competition.

1. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

OK Mr. Ferguson-Barber, since you want to continue with the name-calling.
    You know, going by what I see in the Record, it seems someone has impressed upon your man Dalton that things are tough out there.
    Dalt is talking about a 7% cut in government employees to deal with things.
    Now, let’s look at what Mr. Craig will do when he runs out of money – when someone finally convinces him things are tough out there. Mr. Craig and the gang ill cut back the hours of service at the libraries. Yes he will! He has done it before – he’ll do it again.
    The librarians and the community will suffer because you left-wing Pinkos don’t want to stick with the basics in hard times.
    But some of the skulls at Council are so thick, they just don’t get it.
    The only way is to give them the boot.
    What we will do with the Pinkos, I’m not sure.

2. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 11:34 am

I’m not really into the Blues a whole lot, but if this band comes to Cambridge and does a performance with the proceeds going to buy books or fix pipes, I will consider the $1,500 well spent.
    This band damn well owes the community something for this little advance in funds.
    Mr. Ferguson-Barber, since it seems you are the man behind this, you should make this happen!

3. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Blame Ben, I just voiced my opinion. As for the rest of your comments, as I have stated before, I’m getting away from politics. I’d rather expend my energy on other things, such as encouraging and supporting local writers and artists.

4. Robert Ross November 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

While I commend Connor for all he has accompished at his age, I question the wisdom and basis for giving such a grant.I am sure there are other members of this community who would like $1500 , but are not given such a stipend, yet are just as worthy.
    To have the money literally spent out-of-town is not,in my opinion,a good use of citizens’ money.

5. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Well you chicken-shit!
    You set up up with:

“Now I expect all of you rednecks to start yelling and screaming about the “infrastructure,” (Please don’t disappoint me”

Oh well, Ben is watching, I’m sure.
    I’m expecting one – or both of you – to arrange a concert with this group to benefit a worth-while cause in the community.
    (and I don’t mean more paintings or sculptures – something essential).
    Ben, you have been in my favour briefly. Don’t ruin it now.

6. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I agree that something needs to be done about the infrastructure. I’m going to apply for a grant for the local artists to paint the pipes.

7. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Pipes don’t need painting.
    They already have a nice rust colour!

8. Robert Ross November 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Lee, it’s ok. I heard they got the money from the Hespeler revitalization fund.

9. Lary Turner November 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

A grant to send a great young guitarist and his band to the International Blues Festival were many thousands will see “Connor Gains FROM CAMBRIDGE ONTARIO CANADA”. Hard to buy that kind of publicity for $1500!

10. Robert Ross November 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Radio runs about $60/ 30 second spot….Aerial advertising(banner behind airplane) runs about 400/hr…..30 second spot during American Idol $635,000….

Grey hound ticket is $378.00 round trip.

All joking aside, Scot. Perhaps give people a bit more info on Connor, what he has accomplished as an artist and more about the Blues Festival and the audionce and how this relates to Cambridge.

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm

But Robert, I was having fun playing with the rednecks.
    Fair enough. I’ll bring Jake’s story about Conor back up. The kid is 18 and has played with Les Paul, he has an incredible future.

12. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Yes Lary, those Yankees will be just a jumpin’ on the buses to CAMBRIDGE, ONTARIO, CANADA to see where young Connor hails from.
    Maybe we can send Scot off to the International Artist’s Convention in some far off place. Might not bring any visitors to Canada though.
    I don’t know Lary, you make a lot of sense much of the time. Pop a few more fish oil tablets – they will help you think clearer.
    It just came to me, when Connor gets real famous, Dough Craig and half o’ Council will want to ride along. The Connor groupies.

13. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Robert, I sure hope you are running for Cambridge Council next time. I don’t know “anyone” who is running. Maybe Mr. Hagey will run. I don’t know about Les Kadar. He sometimes talks good sense. Then he goes out and votes for Dalton. So, don’t know what to think about him.
    Yes, we need to start putting together a Council in waiting.
    Rick Cowsill for experience. Tucci will be running for Dalton’s job – so he’s out.

Margaret Barr for Mayor. I want to see how she will handle that delegation SFB when he comes in asking for funds for artists. Jeez, he’s already kissin’ up to her putting her on the Citizen.
    Oh this grant thing has just got my head spinning. Gotta go take a few fish-oil tablets.

14. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

There, had a couple fish oil tablets. I’ll chase ’em with a couple glasses of Malbec.
    Then you can ask me anything and I’ll have the answer!

15. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Gee Facetious, you’re forgetting about someone. What about Doug? We did have a conversation about it on Monday when we spoke. In case you forgot, Doug Craig won by a rather wide margin,he’ll be tough to beat. (If he runs again.)

16. Robert Ross November 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Lee, that is 24.5 mos away..will have to wait and see.meanwhile when are you gonna buy me a coffee?

17. curmudgeon November 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Early in this thread I had a comment but as I scrolled down the page those beady eyes that never blink keep appearing and I realized that it just isn’t worth the effort.

18. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm

There are funds for this type of thing, they just couldn’t do it within the specified times, it would have been too late.
    Lee, you are obsessed with pipes. You should go out and get a pipe of your own, fill it with something from your community garden, (Which is not next to a business.) and smoke it. It might calm you down.
    Every time I post something about work being done on the infrastructure everyone ignores it, but if I post something about art funding I hear about infrastructure.

19. Facetious Lee November 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yup Robert, I’ll buy you a coffee.
    I knew I was getting into something when I bought a coffee for Hags.
    On the other hand, Hags voted for the Libertarian guy I voted for. Did you?
    Nope.
    You thought your guy was a little smarter.
    Ah heck, I’ll still buy you a coffee. I would have voted for you if my Libertarian guy hadn’t run.

20. W. Walker, aka Curmudgeon November 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Okay, okay, against my cardiologist’s recomendations I now must paraphrase and return a comment made to me by SFB from a post of several weeks ago.
    Scot, “Shut up about infastructure, it’s already here and here to stay”. Nobody realy cares if our pipes leak or our roads cave in. The waste water plants only smell when you drive by.
    We all know that several posters like to see how high they can load the BS before you start to turn the pile over. Take the tinfoil out of your pants and stick to what you have always done best, social media and the artsy stuff. The world outside Libertaria will be a much better place. I look forward to seeing your new paper and leaving this so called jovial jousting behind. I would hope that the paper draws more attention than the dozen or so that use this site. Oh by the way, I don’t pay taxes in Cambridge any more and will have to have the paper mailed to me.

Score: Scot 1- Curmudgeon 1

21. Margaret Barr November 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Facetious, SFB isn’t kissing up to me by “putting me on the Citizen”. I’m actually doing him a favour by editing his copy (gratis); just as I do (have done and would do) for anyone making the request of me.

22. Facetious Lee November 19, 2011 at 8:05 am

Oh Margaret.
    I have a lot of faith in you to run this City well when you are Mayor.

23. Margaret Barr November 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

I have no intention of running for mayor again. But I will say this, just as I have in several columns I have written in the past for the Cambridge Times. I am a huge supporter of the arts. However, I have not been, am not and will never be in favour of giving tax-dollars to special interest groups, and certainly not to individual artists. My own 24-year-old son has been invited to display his ‘rapping’ talents in Toronto, New York City (at last years biggest world-wide rap championship concert), England and Oakland, California, over the last couple of years. He was paid nothing for doing so… But he loves the competition (and wins a whole lot of the time). He promotes Cambridge ‘rap artists’ wherever he goes. The thought of asking for donations to help him, especially from city council, would never enter his head (if it did, I would get it out of his head toot-sweet).

He and his partners have organized rap concerts and ‘rap battles’ right here in our own fair city and in Kitchener/Waterloo. Numerous out-of-town rappers have been in attendance. He has never made one penny in his endeavours, but loves the ‘biz’. He works daily for a Temp Agency to finance his love of rap. I hate rap. I hate rap. I hate rap. However, it is an art form and therefore have never discouraged him from pursuing his interest.

He and 2 partners will be opening a professional recording studio on Hespeler Road in about 2 weeks. The studio will accommodate all types of musicians; rappers, classicals, rock, and, yes, even those indiciduals who have always thought they could sing and wish for an affordable professionalstudio to see if they really can sing. His 1/3 portion of the financing is through his day jobs. To me THAT type of love for music artists is what makes the world go-round and promotes Cambridge….NOT tax dollar hand-outs.

As long as Cambridge City Council continues its ‘grants to groups’ program, I will have my druthers about which groups receive the funding. But I could never support any ‘grants’ to any individual. It has always been my position that ‘grants to groups’ should be eliminated entirely. Let the citizens decide where to donate their “charitable” dollars. I don’t want councillors to take my tax dollars and donate them to the charity (or individual) of their choice (not our choice, their choice).

24. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Once again, it was outside the timeline for the ‘grants to groups’ program.

25. Margaret Barr November 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Scot, the point is; no matter which ‘fund’ the money came from, it was tax payer dollars…..

26. curmudgeon November 21, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Nice retort Margaret. Tax money is not the entertainment pot-o-gold. Too many folks just can’t grasp the “one pocket” theory. I agree the arts needs funding but not on a personal level. I can’t wait to see what this young fellow brings back to the community. Kudos to your son and his partners for taking the hard road. Wishing them much success.

27. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I see Conor’s father has in letter to the Times.
    When Ben Told me he expected some opposition because council wouldn’t want to set a precedent I decided to speak to council as they had done it before, several years ago which also didn’t fall within the dates.
    I was quite clear to council that I didn’t represent Conor, and I was speaking as someone who books bands and as an artist the city had made the same exception before for us to publish The Cambridge Wartime Scrapbook.
    Paul seems to think I need someones permission to speak, Baaa Haaa Haaa!
    I have booked Conor several times since the summer, including the Friday before council meeting.I don’t go through his so called manager, I book Conor directly, and his father doesn’t like that.(You’ll notice he gets free advertising for the show out of it.)
    There. I’ve vented here. I don’t care what they say there, the more they talk about me the better.
    Work to do.

28. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I deal with Conor, not his father. Here’s the message from Conor’s Facebook.

13 November Scot Ferguson
    Conor, sorry I missed you Friday. I laid down for a nap and didn’t get up. (Things are crazy right now) I need to talk to you. I’m speaking at city council tomorrow night on your behalf. can you call me at 519 650n 1721 or 519 277 7234. Thanks>

I rest my case.

29. Robert Ross November 23, 2011 at 8:18 am

Scot, perhaps you could explain the difference between a “booking agent” and a “manager/agent” for those who don’t know the difference.

30. Scot Ferguson-Barber November 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

Thanks Robert.
    A manager/agent works for the band. It’s his job to promote the band, find gigs, make travel arrangements etc. He is payed by the band, usually a percentage of the revenue he generates.
    A booking agent works for the venue, or venues, and finds bands to play. He is payed by the venue, or makes money from selling tickets and keeps what is left after he pays the band.
    I didn’t go through Paul. Conor came to me and told told me he was going to start handling his own affairs, and I have been booking Conor since he turned 18 this summer.