Doug Craigs State of the City

By  | September 26, 2010 | 22 Comments | Filed under: Uncategorized

CAMBRIDGE — Mayor Doug Craig praised community volunteers, social agencies and local businesses in his annual report card on the city.

He put groups like the self-help food bank and The Bridges homeless shelter in the spotlight for ensuring everyone gets a helping hand.

“They take care of everybody and we have to take care of them,” he said during his State of the City and community update speech.

Thursday’s supper-hour event was hosted by the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce in the foyer of Cambridge city hall. About 125 people attended.

You Can read the whole story at the Waterloo Record

What do you think the State of our City is? Is cutting jobs and reducing services the answer, while Drayton is still a go?  Taking a loss on the Royal Hotel ok with you?  Feel free to have your say.

About

Tags:

22 Responses to Doug Craigs State of the City

1. Harold Fontaine September 26, 2010 at 11:37 am

I find it strange that a state of the city is giving at the beginning of a campaign, it just seems the wrong time for me. A little political one upmanship?

2. davethehobo September 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

They should have tore the royal down.

3. scot September 26, 2010 at 11:49 am

Dave, I disagree with you on the Royal. Give me a day or so, I have a column I wrote about it, and it’s history.

4. Margaret Barr September 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

Harold, I completely agree that it ‘seems wrong’ for the incumbent mayor to give a ‘state of the city’ address at the beginning of a municipal campaign. In truth, I never pay much attention to these ‘state of the city’ speeches, no matter when they take place, because we will only get a ‘positive’ spin, anyway.

No mayor (or any other politician) is going to stand up and tell folks that things may not be so good, under her/his leadership.

5. Jimm Hillis September 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Damn, i have to agree with you Margaret and Harold. Giving it at the start of the election does not make sense and of course we are not going to hear the real juicy parts anyway.

6. davethehobo September 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hey Scot, hope to read more of your stuff here. As for saving the royal, we can’t save every heritage building.

7. Mark Roberts September 26, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I am not upset by the timing of this speech seeing how it happens the same time every year. The mayor still has to be the Mayor and the State of the City is just part of the job.

8. Doug Graham September 26, 2010 at 12:19 pm

It’s a minor issue, but one that does need to be addressed, could the State of the City be done in January? You know, a new year and a new attitude, warts and all. that way everyone that actually cares can have time to digest it.

9. RPG September 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I went to City Hall to listen to the “State of the City” so to speak, that’s just a nice way of kicking off a Campaign. It was all laid out in point form very nicely thought out, no time for questions after the little patting on the backs of certain groups. Margaret summed it up perfectly, no need for anymore talk on this topic, it was well executed to paint a rosy picture.

10. gail M September 26, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I too went, and it was a Chamber event and done very well. the surprising part was why the 30 plus people running for city positions where not there just to see what was happening in the city. There was no election or campaigning happening. I learned a few things.

11. KB September 27, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Margaret and Harold you both are SO RIGHT. The Mayor was using this
    event to do nothing but campaign.

12. Mark Roberts September 27, 2010 at 11:36 pm

So KB I guess you were at this event and saw that first hand then? I am only asking because Gail who did attend this event saw nothing to do with a campaign.

13. John Caffrey September 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Not having been their I can’t comment myself but from what i have read and as you state mark, Gail was there and if she say’s there was no campaigning than I believe it, and i also agree with gail..Where where the other candidates at this event?

14. KB September 28, 2010 at 10:59 am

Mark,NO, I was not there also, but I heard from people who were there. Mayor Craig takes advanage of any event to do his campaigning.And I guess you can not see it.He does not wish too lost his POWER.

15. Mark Roberts September 28, 2010 at 11:53 am

No KB it’s not that I can not see it, I don’t see. How about we try posting factual information? It’s fine that you clearly don’t support him but making up stuff to make him look bad does the public harm.

16. Margaret Barr September 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Now I want you gentlemen to simmer down. You want facts; Here’s the facts’. Of course, Doug takes every opportunity to campaign. He’s supposed to do so. He’s running for office. Could he have done the ‘big’ thing and given the ‘state of the city’ address at a different time. Of course, he could; but, as I said, he’s campaigning.

As for Whetham, she takes every opportunity to campaign too. Does anyone think she has the highest attendance record (to local events) just because she ‘wants’ to be there? Come on…she’s campaigning…as well she should, too.

Linda’s possibly ‘misleading’ election signs and Doug’s ‘state of the city’ address timing are simply ‘politics as usual’. Cast your votes for the person you think will do the most for the taxpayers of the city……Battling over who is running a ‘fair’ campaign is a losing battle (for the voters). All’s fair in love and politics (so long as it isn’t an outright lie……which we also get from some candidates).

17. gail M September 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm

This was a Chamber event for business, any one could attend and it was free. The topic was STATE OF THE CITY. All of council should have attended. It wold not have mattered who presented because all was facts. Get a copy of the slides. I found out how many jobs were created from the infrastructure project. I was disappointed that it was not about vision and future, but in an election year I guess that stuff was cut.

I too think the event would be better done in January at least in an election year. It should also include the executive city staff and all council.

Im not sure if I networked or campaigned. I introduced myself to some businesses in the ward (they dont vote in the ward) and got a connection for lighting because it saves energy in corporated environments.

As for signs, drive south on Townline and see LW’s big sign, if front of it are 2 DC signs strategically placed covering the words for Mayor.

18. Jimm Hillis September 28, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I saw that, one upmanship at its best!

19. Thomas Vann September 29, 2010 at 6:02 am

As Margaret comments about alls “fair in love and politics” in a campaign may be true and may be the way to go to some but we must deal with the fallout after the election on what people think of those involved that did those things. Sign theft or damage is another issue that is being dealt with by some now and will be dealt with after the election. l understand some candidates that have had sign damage or theft joined up to have 2 photographers working the streets to catch the ones doing this. l see many games inside the game that are being played out. Off to work ..later.

20. Tim Kennedy September 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

Sorry, but after the election 90% of the people will not worry about municipal politics or what happened during the election, and go about there normal lives for the next four years.

21. Jimm Hillis September 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Or until the next Federal or Provincial election..ugh

22. KB September 30, 2010 at 12:02 am

Margaret, once again I will agree with your vision. Yes, cast your vote for the candadate that you can trust to make the RIGHT deccions for the taxpayer’s of this city. As far as sighs go, they do make a you think. Like WHO has the most support with the voters,that can be seen by which candidate has the they sign on house hold lawns,NOT on roadways.