20 Responses to Liberal response to “Tories’ anti-Liberal blitz hits Cambridge”

1. Iain Davidson May 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm

In there rush to be seen as doing something clean the Liberal government has saddled us with a clean energy police that will force us to pay for over priced “clean energy” or buying more expensive dirtier American coal energy much dirtier than the Ontario coal energy that we are getting rid of

It is interesting that the only time that government can sign a contract with guarantees is when it is costing the tax payer money both here in Waterloo Region and from a federal standpoint we can expect to be paying far more than budgeted or estimated for our LRT and new jet planes because governments refuse to require guarantees in contracts for anything other than forcing the next government to keep there bad plans because it will cost more to get out of the contracts

I have an idea government should start spending my money like something other than a birthday gift from your grandmother

2. Allan Dettweiler May 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Really?
    The Conservatives will stop full day Kindergarten? Hurray!
    I can hardly wait. Go, Hudak, go!!!
    Now, what you call a 2 tiered school system – well, I call it a Pro-Choice School System. Like people get to send their children where they damn well want to. They are their children. So, they should have a choice. Yes, how clever that be. A Pro-Choice School System! Doesn’t that sound so democratic? Pro-Choice, Pro-Choice, Pro-Choice!!!!!

3. Hags May 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Dalton and his gang of half wits should be thrown out on their pointy little heads.
    Our Liberal gov’t is so bad that it’s actually managed to make the Rae clique seem half-assed competant.
    Dalton and his mouthpieces screamed blue murder when the Tories left a defecit of about 4.5 billion…the Liberal defecit last year was 20 billion…how could they be so inept…how could they be so stupid?
    They have sucked up to big unions and screwed the rest of us….get rid of ’em.

4. Facetious Lee May 23, 2011 at 1:56 am

Hey Liberal lovers – speak up. Poor Scot is feeling lonely.
    Also, it’s hard on Kathyn to see the guy who will never be her boss be so unloved.
    Is there not something nice we can say about our soon to be former Premier?

5. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 23, 2011 at 8:13 am

For me, it’s not about the leaders but about the local candidates. Last month everyone was on me for supporting the NDP, now I’m a “Liberal Lover.” I vote for the candidate, not the party.
    No-one voted for Gerry Matinuuk because of who the conservative leader was, and because they thought the conservatives would win, they voted for Gerry, not the party.
    Rob Leone had done dick for Cambridge, and the only reason he is in is because he’s Gary Goodyear’s bum boy, he holds Gary’s toilet paper. When the election is over we won’t see him again, one way or the other.

Kathryn has a long record of contributions to Cambridge, Rob Leone doesn’t even live here.

6. Bill Kirby May 23, 2011 at 8:39 am

@Iain Davidson…..I find it fascinating that the two examples of no guarantees you have cited are a Federal Government deal (Jet planes) and a Regional Government deal (LRT).

@Hags…. Mike Harris/Ernie Eaves did not leave $4.5billion. you forgot the more than $20billion hydro deregulation debt that they left out of the books. Completely unaddressed until the Liberals took over in 2003. Not to mention all the healthcare nursing cuts and the hospital expansion that Elizabeth Witmer promised and never delivered on.

Since 2003 we have has performed in a manner benefiting the people of Ontario. Healthcare is in far better shape than ever and it is now measured and reported on.

All Hudak wants to do is cut services that people need and expect from their government. Education, Healthcare and Energy. These are 3 huge portfolios and and the financial resources must come from somewhere. When is the last time you received something for nothing? and if you did how was the quality of that something?

We are talking about merit and value! The strongest indicator of future performance is past performance. We have see the PC’s cut and cripple our province and they present us with a candidate who is only inclined to return to Cambridge with the promise of the local nomination, I suggest that if he does moved back, and that is a big IF, that he only rent. Rent because Kathryn McGarry is clearly committed to Cambridge and has proven so everyday for the last 20 years. She is committed to giving Cambridge and Ontario a real and foreseeable future where our kids are well educated, healthy, are able to breath the air around them and have money in their pockets because of good jobs available in Ontario and Cambridge. Not to mention the fact that their parents handled their own debt instead of leaving it to them.

Kathryn cares.

7. Malcolm May 23, 2011 at 8:57 am

Seems all reporters but one were at the Suds Car Wash. The visiting professor’s blitz fizzled due to a car wash water recycling programme. Can’t wait for the next blitz boondoggle.

8. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

What if they held an election and nobody came?

9. Bill Kirby May 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

would we all be winners or losers?

I suspect losers as we will have collectively given up our right to choose.

10. Facetious Lee May 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

Kathryn cares.
    So did Brian Mulroney.

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

Rob Leone is on a 60 city tour. That’s a really good way for him to find out about local voter concerns, go to other cities.
    Oh well, if he gets elected we’ll be used to him not being around.

12. Hags May 23, 2011 at 11:29 am

Bill, it must take a special, high octane cool-aid to be hot for Dalton. Again, this guy had made Bob Rae look like a financial genius.
    Some people stick with their brand through thick or thin…pity
    He does however stand a chance at re-election because public unions know that he works for them, not us.

13. les kadar May 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Two things here.

I vote for the person who will best represent my needs locally, not in Toronto.
    A person I can speak to and they will speak back.
    A person that understands Cambridge.
    How they have preformed in our community is a clear indication of what they will do in office. Regardless of what others will say of it’s importance a resume of the candidates PAST preformance is the only thing we have to go by for an indication of ther FUTURE preformance.
    Martiniuk is a clear example of preformance I don’t want to see again. Enough said there.

Second, as someone who has just spent 2 weeks in CMH with a life threatening illness and added home care and close follow up specialists attention for another 2 weeks at home, 2 CAT scans, 1 MRI and who knows how many other tests I forgot, I am personally now all too aware of what has been done and what still needs to be done with our healthcare system and hospital upgrades.
    Talking to staff in multitudes of departments day after day, of all things through a federal election was quite an eye opener of opinions.

The destruction Harris and Co. had left behind is still being cleaned up by the current Lib government even if slower than some would like. I suggest if you know anyone in the field that has worked for let’s say the past 15 years or so, just ask them their opinion, but stand back cause you may get it.

And our health care is just one of several social issues that were left in tatters. I could write a book on the state of our Mental Health care in this province.

Therefore, bottom line is this.

Is there a candidate locally who fills the bill ?
    Yup, McGarry.
    Dont’ know or have heard of or seen any others and I don’t hide out. NDP has yet to surface.

Has the current government been perfect if there is such a thing? Nope, not by a long shot.
    I am not an HST lover never have been. Problem now as Hudac has found out, is that it brings in too much money to kill so he won’t and can’t.
    So to look like a potential winner, he will have to invent things to cut by 11 or 13 billion dollars as stated. Can’t possibly imagine where he will start.

Do we at this point have a party that is proposing a resonable alternative platform to keep this province on track or in other opinions, to put it back on track?
    Nope, not by a long shot.

So, this vote is not for Dalton or any other head of state, but the representative of a party I have chosen to vote for, that is running locally. One that I feel will do the best job for me and my family.

Decision made.
    Just my opinion. Have fun with that.

14. Hags May 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Poor Kathryn…carrying a torch for a brand that nearly got a stake through the heart federally…and a brand that is quickly decaying under deadly Dalton.
    It must take a person of either incredible passion or immense naivety to carry such a soiled banner…you decide.

15. Facetious Lee May 24, 2011 at 3:53 am

Les, you should convince Kathryn to run for a real party.

If we carry on the way we have in Ontario, and our debt keeps rising, there will be far more Harris type “destruction” on the way. (I wasn’t a Harris fan).
    Our present ways are unsustainable.
    Les, how much say will Kathryn really have in a McGuinty government? Very little, I suspect.
    So, you can vote for Kathryn because of your principles. But, Cambridge won’t.
    Les, I’m surprised you have no ideas of where to start cutting. What about full time Kindergarten. What a bone-headed idea. Dalton didn’t have enough money to implement it across the entire Province, so he is phasing it in. Not treating all Ontarians the same. Just to buy votes from as many as he can. If Kathryn defends such a decision on the part of McGuinty, she is not even worth my consideration. Treating Ontarians unequally is indefensible. And, reprehensible.

Yes, McGuinty “finds” money for those things he wants. To hell with any promises he may have made earlier ie. Cambridge Hospital and the Kitchener-Guelph Highway rebuilding.

16. manny sousa May 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

Yea who wants to vote their principles we should just blindly follow the party line,after all it has worked well all these years right lee

17. les kadar May 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

For those worrying about a deficit, you would think that blowing in Harper who took a 13 billion dollar liberal surplus to a 256 billion dollar deficit in 4 short years before the recession would have meant something ?
    Also, if you are concerned about her status in the government, once again, you all voted Martiniuk in over and over, even me in the early years, yet he has neither status nor clout in the government ????
    And yes, every single government finds money for the things they want. Those things that cater to those that supported them. Unfortunately it’s the truth of the matter. Just have a peak at the way local councillors vote on issues that come before them.
    You can almost match up their support with the big dollars provided during the campaigns.
    And yes, the Liberals got and needed a serious spanking in the Federal election. It’s the only way a system of this magnitude grows a brain and recovers. Sort of reminds you of the beating the Conservatives got after Mulroney finished tearing down the country doesn’t it ?
    I stay with my position of voting for the right person locally. It is the same reason I voted for Gerry well over a decade ago now. That was then, this is now. I will stick with principles over a brand any day. At least then I only have myself to blame of thank for the decision.

18. Facetious Lee May 24, 2011 at 10:45 am

Oh Les, now all I can think about is which Liberal I’d love to give a serious spanking to. In the past, I might have spanked Sheila “I’m nobody’s baby” Copps.
    I’m just not into spanking Dalton – but Terry perhaps.
    Now I’m wondering whether Margaret would like to spank Scot???
    Maybe Scot would like to spank Margaret????
    Look what you started Les!

19. les May 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Well at least it put a little spank, I mean spark into the column. Next thing you’ll see is Scott dressed up in a french maid outfit. Hellllloo there big boy.

20. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm

just goading me, aren’t you guys?Just keeping pushing my buttons, I’m going to have a lot of time next week after the magazine is out and I have a new colaborator. Did anyone even see my “Free the Monkeys” Cartoon? We’ll see who gets a spanking!