May set for May Election: Liberals announce Cambridge Candidate

By  | March 17, 2011 | 23 Comments | Filed under: Politics

The Cambirdge Federal Liberals choose Bryan May

The Cambridge Federal Liberal Association is very proud to announce their candidate in the upcoming federal election, Bryan May.  Cambridge Liberals braved some of the worst weather of the winter to choose Bryan as the candidate on March 9th at the Continental German Club on Main St in Cambridge.  Cambridge Liberals were impressed with Bryan’s passion and dedication to help renew democracy in Canada.

Bryan May, his wife Kristin, and his son James, are long-time residents of Cambridge.  In the past, Bryan helped many Cambridge residents in his role as Director of Membership/Facilities at the Chaplin Family YMCA.  Bryan currently works for the Woodstock’s YMCA and recently spearheaded their multi-million dollar refurbishment.

THEMES & QUOTES FROM BRYAN MAY’S SPEECH:

On democracy and citizenship

“The Liberal Party is a party for all.  We do not alienate, we do not ostracise, and we do not exclude.”

“It’s time to reach out, re-engage, and re-energize the citizens of Cambridge.  I will let them know that it is time, once again, for them to stand up in support for a stronger Canada…citizenship is not a spectator sport.”

I want a Canada where politics is synonymous with civility and respect.”

On the economy

“Our economy is still in trouble. Every day, families that once would have been considered middle class, are visiting our food banks.”

The recession may be over for the elite in this country but in every part of Canada. People are worried about paying the bills providing for their kids, and their vanishing retirement savings.”

We deserve a government that has a credible plan for recovery—a vision for Canada’s future that includes everyone, not just the rich and those who vote for you.

On the Conservative attack ads:

We deserve a government that comes to the table with answers, not attack ads.”

How many may have gone to school in another country, do business in another country, or God forbid live for a time in another country?  Does this make you less Canadian?  In “Harper’s Government” it does.   What Stephen Harper doesn’t realize, is that a citizen of Canada is a citizen of the world.”

On the Harper record:

We need to pull the curtain back on this government. In 2006 Harper said, “Bend the rules, you will be punished; break the law you will be charged; abuse the public trust, you will go to prison.” Stephen Harper spoke these very words while his party broke Elections Canada’s rules with the ‘In and Out’ scheme.

“I want a Canada that isn’t afraid to aim high, not one that lowers the bars so it looks like we are doing well.  I want a Canada that leads rather than follows on the world stage.”

Tags: ,

23 Responses to May set for May Election: Liberals announce Cambridge Candidate

1. Brett Hagey March 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Everybody sing along!

“Ohhhhh say can you see, by the dawn’s early light……”

I’ll just run right out and vote for you guys, yep, that’s what I’m gonna do……

2. Brett Hagey March 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apw9wzkb2c8

3. Allan Dettweiler March 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I will not be voting Liberal, or Conservative – or NDP.
    None of those parties will, in spite of their fancy talk, deliver the kind of Canada that is fair to all Canadians.

4. Brett Hagey March 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm

“I’ll scrap the GST!”

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mibZYpVPY

Oh, wait, wrong guy, wrong promise.

5. Brett Hagey March 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Ed, save us!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKR7Qdg_wHY

Too bad they don’t (traditionally) have a hope in hell of getting the Big Chair, sorry Jack.

6. Brett Hagey March 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Not too sure what these guys are all about yet, but they’re worth a look:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSQvkbQbR8

7. Harold Fontaine March 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm

A total waste of time and money,let Harper finish his term and them election time!

8. ben tucci March 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm

HAROLD, I COULDN’T AGREE MORE. BESIDES, THE LIBERALS NEED A NEW LEADER TO TAKE THEM INTO THE ELECTION. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WHEN HE WAS GIVEN THE NOD? HE IS NOW PROMISING QUEBEC FUNDING FOR A HOCKEY ARENA AFTER HARPER SAID NO! CAN’T BUILD AN ARENA IF YOU DON’T HAVE A TEAM TO PLAY THERE! AFTER THE PROTESTS COMING OUT OF MONTREAL ON THE CHARA HIT, BETTMAN IS NOT ABOUT TO CONSIDER A TEAM FOR QUEBEC ANYWAY. I’LL REPEAT HERE WHAT I’VE BEEN SAYING IN MY BUSINESS CIRCLES FOR A FEW YEARS NOW. SIMILAR TO THE MERGER OF THE REFORM PARTY AND THE PCs THAT LEAD TO THE LIBERAL DYNASTY DEMISE, A MERGER OF THE LIBERALS AND NDP PROVIDES THE ONLY CHANCE OF DEFEATING HARPER. QUESTION IS WHO WOULD LEAD THE NEW LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY! NOT MICHAEL AND SORRY JACK! PERHAPS THE CITIZEN CAN BE FIRST TO SET UP A POLL ON THIS ISSUE. QUESTION #1 COULD BE, DO YOU SUPPORT THE MERGER OF THE 2 PARTIES. QUESTION #2 IF YES, WHO BE BEST TO LEAD THE PARTY.

9. Allan Dettweiler March 18, 2011 at 8:08 am

Brett, Libertarians don’t agree on every last detail of how a Libertarian society would function, but any true Libertarian would agree on what is found in the video you posted.
    Thankyou!

10. Deron Rennick March 18, 2011 at 9:05 am

I have contributed to this country through my taxes virtually all of my adult life – unlike Mr. Ignatieff who will soon receive a nice cash-for-life lottary pension courtesy of the Canadian Taxpayer even though for over 30 years he lived south of the border and never contributed a cent to this country. And let’s not forget that, like Mr. Harper, he too wanted to see Canadian troops sent to Iraq. Of course, he suddenly changed his view the minute he came back north of the border. To him, becoming our Prime Minister is just a hobby. I will never vote Liberal again until that party has a real Canadian as its leader. Go home, Mike!

11. Allan Dettweiler March 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Frank McKenna is one of the Liberals I admire most. I doubt he would ever run, but I think he would give Harper a good challenge.

12. Deron Rennick March 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Frank Mckenna would be a good choice to lead a Liberal/NDP coalition. However, I do think that Harper has done a fairly good job as well. I would really have to think hard on who to vote for between those two. (What a wonderful problem – which of two capable leaders to vote for?) I can’t remember the last time that I actually had to choose between two leaders that I liked. Oh wait, yes I do – Broadbent and Clark.

13. Hags March 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Sorry guys but Frankie Mac speaks French the way Stephane Dion speaks English…..brutally! I heard him speak in Toronto years ago and the guy is loaded with common sense and full of practical ideas. Too bad.
    I feel the fix is in and the Libs next choice will be Trudeau…who will get the both the frustrated and horny women’s vote and not much else.

14. Gregory Foster March 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Please, the Liberals are not going to win this riding as Mr.Goodyear has not hurt himself enough to have the Incumbent voted out. In Cambridge the incumbent almost never loses when there is no controversy and it won’t happen this time either.

15. Ron sage March 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Good Luck: I live in cambridge but in the past I lived in Simcoe and was the area co-ordinator for the provincial Libderals, I sit as a director for Dave Levac in Brant and have done work for Loyd in that area I live and operate a business beside Whistle Bear Golf Course I am also a director for the 2012 INTERNATIONAL PLOWING MATCH To be held in Roseville in Sept 2012. If I can assist please let me know. I was in Queens park last week discussing their position. Ron Sage, Whistle Bare Rd Cambridge, (519)623-2463 All the Best Ron

16. Malcolm March 27, 2011 at 8:44 am

As Ben said, amalgamation might be the the only way the Liberals can win federally. In Cambridge they need to amalgamate with the NDP to win provincially or federally.

17. Jean Skillman March 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

I agree that defeating an incumbent is difficult. Mr Goodyear however has offended me by his behaviour as a cabinet minister when he berated a group at the University of Waterloo for hosting a debate on the issues between Israel and Palestine, and when the media attempted to question him on the conflict between his creationist views and his role of Minister of science and technology. He is a principled man but I disagree with some of his principles. I think that debate is healthy and solves problems, and that a person listening to a debate on issues that are difficult will learn something and may change their mindset. I do not think someone who has antiscientific views should be a minister of science: that combination is bizarre. I also think his distancing himself from the adoption company scandal was well done but suspect. So I am not voting for him or the Conservatives.

18. scot March 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

Ron, I spoke to Bryan May yesterday, he reads The citizen so I’m sure that he’ll see this
    I have to agree with Ben and Malcolm, a coalition is the only way to depose the almighty Harper.

19. les kadar March 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

If you believe in the coalition tactic of winning this election, who do you propose to coalate with whom and which party would carry the banner? I think that would be the first and last problem even before you pick the leader.
    Harper through Goodyear has blasted enough tax money around this community to possibly get him through the next round.
    The only way he could be seriously harmed is if he made one of the the same public mistakes Peric did to lose his seat by declaring himself a Prolifer once too often. Goodyear is as well but I haven’t heard him say it out loud. If not a party plank, such things only roll around in tight circles.
    And yes Jean, debate debate and more debate, not canned conversations, is what is sorely missing in our society on all things, especially in the process of electing people to represent us in political office. Only good things come from productive conversation.
    We cannot know what anyone is thinking or made of otherwise.

20. Vrbanovic March 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

Will we have real debates in Cambridge? Or will it become an American style mess of trying to point out the faults of each other and telling us what they what they want us to know and not what we need to know. I am afraid that is what is going to happen, a lot of blathering about promises that are sky high and doomsday scenarios of what will happen if the other guy gets in. Hope I am wrong!

21. les kadar March 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Likely correct about the blathering. It gets tiresome to hear all the same old rhetoric, same old you did, we said, you couldn’t etc.

Promises without foundation, accusations without clarity or proof
    almost better to watch the leafs crash and burn,,,oops already did.
    I want to hear what a party has to offer and CAN do and then CAN’T do which is even more important.
    My beef is always the evasive responses to questions.
    If only we were able to obtain a truthful answer to a question, it would make choices so much easier, but I guess that is not part of the game. The incumbent gets to play hide the pickle and the candidates get to play wack a mole.

22. Laureen Housley March 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

For some strange reason i like bryan’s Chances in this riding, I need to know more about him but he seems to be the right one for Cambridge. I hope i am right.

23. Andy Rogers April 16, 2011 at 11:49 am

I have voted Conservative/Reform the last four elections because I felt that fiscal conservatism was the way to go in uncertain economic times, Harper seemed like a “reasonable fellow, and because I was appalled by the Liberal Sponsorship Scandal.

This last term I have been horrified at the undemocratic activities of the Conservative Party in Government and the trampling of their own ethics guidelines and the deliberate hiding of their agenda and practices (as opposed to the transparency they promised us). I will not vote Conservative again until I am certain that a man of principles is in place and the party restored to an ethical base (if that can ever happen…I am not optimistic).

So, I will hold my nose and vote Liberal, strictly strategically, in the hopes of defeating Gary Goodyear and the Harper cabal. I am not a huge fan of the Liberals, but I am hoping that, at this point, they are the lesser of two evils.

Here are a few of the reasons I will NOT vote Conservative this election (this was in alphabetical order but I had to add another one due to the University of Guelph fiasco):

1. Afghan detainee abuse and handing over to torturers

2. Allowing only 5 questions by journalists per “campaign stop”

3. Being perfectly willing to form a coalition when it’s in their best interests but saying that any other party doing it is reckless

4. Bruce Carson – fraudster becomes PM adviser

5. Calling anti-democratic activities “process issues”

6. Defunding political parties’ remuneration based on the number of votes they get (starving the opposition)

7. End of the mandatory long-form census

8. Failure to acknowledge global climate change as an issue, making Canada a laughing stock at Climate Summits and winner of the Fossil Award

9. Failure to provide Canadians abroad with adequate consular services or and inadequate investigations into murders abroad (Mexico/Iraq/etc.)

10. Failure to secure a seat at the UN Security Council

11. Grotesque spending at G8/G20, failure to provide decent security despite overwhelming police presence and spending, failure to adequately compensate business affected by the shutdown of the downtown core.

12. Handing police extraordinary (and secret) measures at G8/G20 Summit

13. Highest deficit ever!

14. In and out scandal – playing shell games with election finances

15. In contempt of parliament

16. Lifting quotes from 9/11 AG report to make it look like they handled G8/G20 well

17. Lowering of corporate taxes while personal taxes go up

18. Muzzling of Environment Canada scientists re Global Climate Change

19. No bid contracts (fighter jets)

20. Prorogation – twice

21. Smearing of whistle blowers (Richard Colvin)

22. Spending of Canadian tax dollars in prior close-call ridings ($50 million in Huntsville, currently a Conservative riding)

23. Stacking the Senate with Conservative cronies despite stating that it should be abolished or triple-E…total hypocrisy.

24. Turfing of people from rallies because of their Facebook pictures – OMG!

25. Use of government funds to tout “Conservative” achievements – putting Conservative logo on government cheques and awards

26. Using flunkies to contort democracy (Bev Oda affair/Jason Keney affair)

27. Using Ministerial stationary and resources for promotion of the Conservative Party (Jason Kenney affair)

27. Withholding information from parliament (Bev Oda, fighter jets, cost of prisons, Afghan detainee issue, etc.)

28. Attempting to disenfranchise student votes (University of Guelph special ballot)