25 Responses to McGarry Needs to Get Her Facts Straight (From Atinuke Bankole’s Site)

1. Margaret Barr September 27, 2011 at 11:33 am

Scot, you wrote that Atinuke doesn’t seem to have the support that the NDP federal candidate enjoyed and that ‘some’ have commented on her “campaigning alone at the market”. Even as a PC supporter, I feel for Atinuke if this is true. NO candidate should ever campaign ‘alone’..anywhere. That’s campaigning rule “1!!! She may be misquoted; she may be ‘harrassed’; any number of negative reasons.

I noticed something else on Atinuke’s website (yes, you made me look). When requesting donations (as ALL parties do for signage, brochures, office expenses, etc.)she also mentions needing donations “to help hire organizers on the ground”. This is highly unusual. Local candidate’s ‘ground organizers’ are most often ‘volunteers’; and even if they aren’t, a campaign wouldn’t ‘advertise’ that it needs funds to hire folks. That’s tantamount to saying, we don’t have enough volunteers and have to pay people to help us. Yikes!

2. Robert ross September 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I have seen Donna and Pam with her downtown.She is not alone in this by any stretch.

3. Johnny September 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yikes Margaret! What does that say about the NDP when they have to “buy support”?

Looking forward to seeing how Bankole and company defend this one. 🙂

4. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm

She was alone on Saturday, and very evasive when I started to talk to her.

5. les kadar September 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Just quickly reading through the list of NDP ” do’s “, as a business owner, it makes me shudder to think that they already propose to dip into my pocket long before they are elected. Just a few observations/questions.
    To arbitrarily raise the minimum wage using the ” people need more money to live ” argument in order to get elected, is death to small business owners.
    The result will always the same.
    Where a business was able to afford 4 employees full time, they will now have 2 or 3 with another part time staffer if needed. While the wage itself may not necessarily be the sole factor, the addition of all the extra costs will be.
    Staff are always the instant loser of governmental moves that are made without thought of repercussion.
    Forcing wages to keep up with inflation is also a business killer. Wage increases are now coupled with the rate of inflation causing them to be higher than normally would have been, or flat as the employer will simply allow the wage to raise by inflation and nothing more. Higher minimum wages impact all the way up the ladder.
    Companies cannot simply raise their selling prices to keep in line with their costs because they want to. It takes individuals who have either worked for or owned a company to know that. People who work for government dont’.
    Market conditions govern selling prices not governments by driving costs higher.
    When costs continue an predetermined uncontrolled increase, cutting costs by laying off staff is always the first major step to be taken.
    So what then has the government achieved. The Big Three know that all too well and so do their employees.

Those that managed to retain their jobs, may earn a better living than most.
    The rest, are out of work.
    Results of meddling/controlling free enterprise are not as simple as the NDP makes it out to be.

Finally, “the NDP will reduce school reliance on parents fees and fundraising”.
    HOW ? and how much will the increase in taxes be to affect that ?
    If no tax increase, how many teachers will be laid off to cover the added costs?

Statements without facts are just that. Hollow statements.

6. Allan Dettweiler September 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Scot, Atinuke was focused on talking with as many voters as she could.
    You just weren’t her priority at the moment.
    The NDP may be misguided, but Atinuke is giving the campaign her best.
    And, I can’t imagine her telling anyone to shut up! (I’m not referring to you Scot).

7. brenda vieth September 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Atinuke will do very well because Donna Reid is her campaign manager … Donna Reid knows her stuff … The jury is still out on whether or not Atinuke will come on top but in any event she will do very well

8. Mrs. R.D.M September 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Atinuke campaigns alone a lot. I’ve never thought of it as a negative thing. She has been at every public gathering I’ve been at, just chatting with the people. She really is a very likeable woman.

9. Mike Cahill September 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yes, Atinuke often campaigns alone, or attends public events alone. Her choice. Atinuke choses very often to travel to events alone on the GRT. Again, her choice. It is her personal choice to run a campaign on the smallest carbon footprint possible. At the same time she believes in building community and meeting each citizen one on one. Harry Truman won an election doing just that. She might not win, but she could teach lessons in integrity.

10. Mike Cahill September 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Mr. Kadar’s post recounts the many difficulties of the business owner. Well guess what, things are tough all over. Umm, since that little economic problem in 2008 caused by who? And the recession continues because of who? Not because of you and me. The value of many skilled jobs has been going down since 2005 due to pressure by the people who do the hiring. And who is that?
    A qualified shipper/receiver with forklift certification gets pimped out by a labour agency. The employer pays $14 per hour, the employee gets $11 per hour. You do the math. Business owners in this area can’t afford to pay decent wages? Or are they too damn lazy to have their own H.R Depts. Be serious.

11. Hags September 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I think it’s a shame that the NDP in general and Atinuke’s political friends have not been on the site, raising the flag, fighting Grits and Tories, putting out their platform and engaging with the many new voices who are shopping at the Citizen.
    She sounds like a great candidate for the community…and one who actually shows humility, how refreshing.
    Outside of Scot, the lefties have pretty much left Atinuke out of what has become an engaging on-line debate at the Citizen.

12. Hags September 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Mike…and the recession continues because of whom? Uh,I’ll guess Mike Harris!

13. malcolm September 28, 2011 at 5:22 am

Invoking the name as Ms. Bankole did at the debate of Max Saltzman will not get her elected. Campaigning alone anytime is plain wrong, you need shoes on the ground running ahead hitting doors like JW’s on Saturday. Ms. Galvao who I thought (wrongly as it happened) should have gone for it. As for comments on who caused the 2008 recession wasn’t Mike Harris. Truman at least had a two thousand plus whistle stop tour on yup you got it A TRAIN. Poor Cambridge hasn’t got one for Ms. Bankole.

14. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 7:13 am

The problem I have is Atinuke never says what she’s going to do for Cambridge, Atinuke only tells us what Horwath is going to do for Ontario. As Horwath is not going to be leader, her promises are empty and the NDP is offering nothing for Cambridge.
    Donna Reid is a strong member of both the community and NDP, but she has very little experience with the internet, which is essential in campaigning these days IF YOU WANT TO WIN.
    It’s becoming increasingly more apparent that Atinuke is nothing more than a sacrificial lamb being tossed to the red and blue wolves.
    She’s not going to win, she’s only going to bleed votes from Kathryn.

15. Margaret Barr September 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

Mrs. R.D.M….Atinuke campaigning on her own, without a supporter in tow, is not necessarily ‘negative’ regarding the election outcome and/ or public perception . It’s just not the thing to do, in terms of security, personal safty and, of course, always a politician’s fear; ‘being misquoted’.

16. Mike Cahill September 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hi Hags, no i will not blame the ongoing recession on Mr. Harris. I may be a “leftie” but i’m not yet an idiot. No wait, yes i am, no i’m a jackass, umm well yes i’m somewhere in between.
    Anyway, the point is while any provincial leader may mitigate the effects of the current, (and the next ) recession the causes and the real management of these events lies with the federal govt. According to Paul Krugman, Jimmy and Steve-o are going down the wrong road. Maybe. At the end of the day, too many people have too much debt, lease too many cars, live in houses they can’t afford, and we owe too much money to the Chinese. At the same time we are selling too many companies, and resources to, yes, the Chinese. Balance of payments, value of the dollar. No Premier can change this.

17. Sandra Hill September 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Mike well said! – In the Finance business I see this everyday – too many people in debt and too many credit cards – Ontario has always been a team player with the USA – I believe Ontario will be hit again – its coming just watch Oct Nov Dec might not be too nice!
    We were hit with one recession and now another – have you felt the affect!

18. Allan Dettweiler September 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Mike, you are making too much sense – except for the part about being an idiot/jackass.

19. Allan Dettweiler September 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I agree Sandra.
    It’s nice we can agree on something. (I’d put a smiley face here if I knew how).

20. Allan Dettweiler September 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Malcolm, Max Saltsman may have been my favourite politician ever who represented me.
    I don’t know what he did with my opinions (I was quite young and idealistic), but he did a good job of listening to them (along with his wife), and taking down notes.
    Maybe he was just a real good politician.
    If his name shows up on the ballot, I’m not voting for me.

21. Hags September 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Mike, did not mean to offend…I just thought I’d preempt dozens of others on this site when you asked (tongue in cheek) who was responsible for the continuing recession and possibly herpes?
    And, being the biggest jackass on this site has been staked out as Scot’s domain…tread softly my friend.

22. Hags September 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm

And yes, we can all agree that the debt crunch is coming. Please don’t discount Daltons role in getting us into a serious mess. Jimmy and Stevie will likely get us into the black long before Dalton.
    His problem is that he’s grown gov’t and program spending faster than the tax base can support it….and if we do slip into another recession…his substantive federal allowance gets cut. Like I keep ‘crying in the Citizen wilderness like a deranged peyote prophet…the pain is on the way no matter who gets in. So maybe we should be asking,who can best take care of the most vulnerable with fewer $ coming in too sustain programs. Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?

23. les kadar September 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

MIke, if you run a business you wouldn’t be asking any of those questions.

24. Mike Cahill September 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Allan, and Hags if i am not the number one jackass in this city, after all of the years of hard work i have put into it, well i am deeply saddened. I give up.

25. Hags September 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Mike, my stupid meter goes to 11…and I often exceed that number. You barely register…now if you were to have a moment of brilliant clarity and move to Hespeler…all things are possible.