Region Should Abandon Silly Green Bin Program

By  | October 19, 2011 | 13 Comments | Filed under: Local News

The headline in today’s RECORD (Oct. 19, 2011) reads

Residents slow to embrace costly green bin program

I would prefer the article read:

REGION ABANDONS SILLY GREEN BIN PROGRAM
The timing of the article is interesting. Nyle Ludolph, founder of the Blue Box program has passed away within the past week.
The article points out that 90% of this Region’s residents participate in the Blue Box program while only about half bother with their Green Bin. Susan White, the regional manager of waste diverson, attributes apathy toward the Green Bin to the “yuck factor”.
I would suggest it’s the “common sense factor”. Or, the “I compost my banana peels factor”.
It’s just plain common sense to compost in your back yard rather than sending your banana peel on a long trip. It’s really ironic. The Region spends money after Halloween on advertisements to tell us to “send Jack out back”. Yes, we are asked to compost our Halloween pumpkins – but not our day-to-day compost! Oh my, think about those tens of thousands of Jack-o-lanterns that the Region doesn’t want us to stick in the Green Bin. I’m betting the Region will see the hypocracy of this all and suggest we should now chop Jack up and stick him in the green bin. This is surely going to make for a long day for the garbage collectors after Halloween. The compost section of their trucks will be filled and overflowing.
The “thinkers” at the Region are already trying to figure out how to get more participation in the Green Bin program from the citizenry. Expensive ads should help they are reasoning.
Scot, a phone call to the Region may get some of those advertizing dollars for THE CITIZEN. It’s surely worth a shot.

Tags: ,

13 Responses to Region Should Abandon Silly Green Bin Program

1. Allan Dettweiler October 19, 2011 at 8:59 am

Scot, you have tampered with this posting too much. This is not my title for this posting!!!!!
    The Region is not abandoning the Green Bin program – yet. They are not that smart.
    Please restore my comments to where I sent them

2. Scot Ferguson-Barber October 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

Allan, I gave this it’s own post. If this generates the hits the your Green Bin story has it will need it. http://cambridgecitizen.ca/2010/11/20/green-bin-program-is-not-green/?trashed=1&ids=17415

3. Allan Dettweiler October 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

OK, but the title YOU have put on this posting is misleading.
    Perhaps it should be changed to “Region Should Abandon Silly Green Bin Program”.

4. Allan Dettweiler October 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

The link to THE RECORD in my posting above is not working. Here it is

5. Scot Ferguson-Barber October 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

There, fixed. Sorry, I’m a little busy. Allan, I’d like you to combine the two and we’ll run it in the first issue of the new Cambridge paper that’s coming out.
    The mag is going to twice a year after this week, we will be making an announcement later.

6. Robert Ross October 19, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Allan, don’t talk them into taking my green bins away. They can stop picking up my garbage, but not my green bins and recycling.I put out more recycling and green waste than garbage, which is usually just a shopping bag.
    Tell us what they do way in far away Liberteria.I bet they have a neat way of handling household waste that involves incinerators and generating stations..

7. Bill Kirby October 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Robert….there is no recycling in Libertaria. Waste of all description is used to alter the landscape and provide breath taking vistas from the top of mount trash. Composting and reusing do not happen because it is yukky and someone elses stuff.

On the serious side. Allan those who do not use the green bin most likely do not compost in their back yard either.

Speaking for myself, I do compost in the backyard during the summer and use the greem bin in the winter.

8. Robert Ross October 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I have never had any luck composting. I love the green bins, they take the animal waste and everything, so no more having to deal with that> I usually have 2 a week for them to take.

9. Allan Dettweiler October 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Mssrs Ross and Kirby,
    At the present time, I am alone in Libertaria.
    I am looking for other worthy inhabitants – I’m sure there are many.
    Inhabitants of Libertaria won’t need a political system. They will all work together to find solutions to any problems.
    Mr. Ross – we just toss our stuff in the composter and forget about it. Of course there are only two in the household. We have had the composter for at least 3 years – we have never emptied it. That’s not the way to make good compost but at least we are not exporting our waste.
    We toss stuff in the composter year round.
    The bottom line is that the Green Bin has been less than a resounding success in the Region. Spending more money to “educate” those who compost is ludicrous and a big waste of tax dollars.

10. Hags October 19, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Funny but a while back I heard the Times criticized for running too many bland articles about the ‘glory of recycling’. I have been told by many they never read anything about recycling…it’s a boring waste of time.
    Anyway, seems to me that the Times readers are a little more sophisticated and less easily brainwashed than the Citizens clientelle.

11. Robert Ross October 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Allan,if they cancel the green bin program,what am I gonna do with my dog s___?Can I drop it at your place, cuz I already have too much Bull S___ at my place.

12. Allan Dettweiler October 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

What are you doing raising Bulls in the city?
    Surely there is a law against that!
    I would suggest that if you have a problem with your Dalmations, you send them to Hags. He knows what to do with dogs.

13. Robert Ross October 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Allan, of course there is a law, just like the one regarding chickens, cornstalk height, your grass ( not that type) and evrything else.But since Municipalities and their lil regulations are not mentioned in the Constitution or BNA I choose to ignore them. That being said my bulls are well behaved and their BS doesn’t stink, so the neighbours don’t complain.