14 Responses to Something Afoot In Hespeler!

1. Hags December 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

Barb, funny but the city will go on and on about the valuable resource that water constitutes… and even ration it in summer time, also fine people for wasting it….yet piss it away themselves with little concern.
    Last, if council can blatantly ignore the mess on the major routes of Queen St and Guelph Ave…why should they care about your little street?
    I keep saying that Kandahar and Kabul have better roads than Hespeler….but maybe I’m just a voice crying out from the pot-holed wilderness of silvery heights.

2. Facetious Lee December 14, 2011 at 10:45 am

I didn’t vote for Dug Creg.
    Oh, but S B-F did. But neither of them give a rat’s bum about infastructure.

3. Mike Cahill December 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’m sure that this will be a paragraph that will make no difference whatsoever! That being said, Mr. F. Lee when you say that the city does not give a blah, blah about infrastructure you are full of….infrastructure.
    The city implemented an asset management system some time ago to handle this sort of thing. Most cities have not.
    At this time of year, despite a not having a hard freeze, the ground is moving as does the temps and a weakened pipe will split. I have been thru this at my own home and the city fixed the problem in 2-3 days. It is complicated and fixing the line is only the start. The line has to be back-flushed and the meter replaced.If there is still water bubbling up, how about calling your councillor? Who is the Hespeler councillor?…..the name escapes me.
    On the other hand, my experience is that the insane amount of chlorine in our water is eroding even new copper supply lines and taking years off the life of water softeners, just sayin.

4. Scot Ferguson-Barber December 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh, Facetious, I really hope that your mouth is as large as it seems because you are going to need room for your foot. But before you fill your mouth with your foot, you can eat your words, followed by a large portion of humble pie.
    I’ll tell you Facetious, I have been looking at the infrastucture for months now, and the water pipes are minor compared to what I’ve found.

5. Dixon Parrks December 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Water main breaks in Hespeler and on Pinebush and Hespeler Road. Sewage backup in Preston. Water rates going up 10%. Merry Christmas Cambridge.

6. curmudgeon December 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Scotty,
    Christmas is coming, are you planning a journalistic gift for us? Will it be so big that I should consider moving farther away? I have searched every closet, looked under every bed, in the attic and behind the furnace and I can’t find a single clue to the “present”. Please break the suspense or at least give us a time line for the “big one”. I’ve already asked Santa for XL/TG Depends cause I think your surprise just might be a bladder buster!
    Merry Christmas oh ye of long hair and short temper. May Tinkerball make all your dreams come true.

7. Hags December 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Mike, re infrastructure…take a walk or drive down Queen St from Ott’s to the old post office and check the quality of our main street.
    And like I said before, they rip up parts of Guelph Ave every year…seem to be fixing the same holes.
    When I was in management, I preached that’doing it right the first time, is the cheapest, quickest way to do the job’…wish the city understood the concept.
    So,what if there’s money and a plan…Queen Street’s not a part of it.
    Facetious….do you owe me a breakfast or coffee?
    Mike, your facetious rant is a little Flaherty-esque in tone…do I sniff a conversion?

8. Hags December 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Mudgie, FYI…’Tinkerball’ is the masc form of ‘Tinkerbell’…like duh.
    Last, since Scotty is either an atheist or a Druid…don’t expect too much.

9. curmudgeon December 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Sir Hags,
    I may not be a bard such as ye but I do know english language. If I recall SF-B stated in a previous thread that James Hagarty would now be refered to as Tinkerball. So there ya go, all I asked was for you to make Scotty’s dreams come true.
    Insert Bah humbugs at will.

10. Scot Ferguson-Barber December 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

My friends, and tonight even Hags is my friend, this is turning out to be the biggest story of my life. I’ll stop teasing, and start posting. there are about six connected stories.

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber December 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Well Facetious, still think I don’t care about the infrastructure? You’re being awfully quiet, what’s wrong, is your mouth still full? Baaaa Haaaa Haaaa!!

12. Scot Ferguson-Barber December 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Curmudgeon, you asked ” Will it be so big that I should consider moving farther away?”
    Well?

13. curmudgeon December 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Scot, great job. I had no idea where you were going with the infrastucture bait and yes I probably should have picked a different province instead of a different town. As an ex government employee (municipal) I was aware of Westover and the location of Lines 9, 10 & 11 but like the masses gave it little concern 20 years ago and still have today. I recall the US Enbridge incident last year but hey that was over there, my backyard was still clean. I commend you and your team for bringing this potential tragedy to the forefront and look forward to the rest of your articles. I get the feeling the worst is yet to come.

14. Scot Ferguson-Barber December 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’m hoping the worst isn’t to come. I have contacted Doug Craig, Cambridge Council, Gary Goodyear, Rob Leone and Rob Deutschmann (Mayor of North Dumfries)There are others, but this is a good start.