Thank you to Cambridge Citizen Readers

By  | August 1, 2010 | 11 Comments | Filed under: Editorial, Local News

I’d like to thank everyone and give a big “shout out” to all the readers of The Citizen. I have been going over the stats, and I wanted to share some of the numbers with you.

In just a few weeks, as of yesterday, we have over 6,000 page views from 14 countries including regular hits from far flung places like Pakistan and Australia. We have regular visits from across North America, including daily visits from The City of Cambridge. (Hi Doug) Readers are spending an average of almost 10 minutes and reading over 5 pages per visit.

I  believe that Social Media can have a huge impact on the coming election , and your opinions are important. I want to encourage everyone not only to continue to read us, but to take a minute and post your comments on whatever strikes your fancy.

The politicians who are running in October are reading us, and The Citizen is a great way to get your concerns across.

Thanks again

Scot Ferguson-Barber

11 Responses to Thank you to Cambridge Citizen Readers

1. Jimm August 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

I second that, thanks to everybody who has visited and commented.

2. Sherrie McTaggart August 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

No problem guys I like to get all views. When I can I post on the North Perth Advocate and thanks for stopping by. Good Luck on the site, it is quite interesting.

3. Margaret Barr August 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

It is an interesting site.

4. Jimm August 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm

We are trying, as we grow it will only get better.

5. Brett August 2, 2010 at 7:24 am

When I was a kid, I spent my time learning to program, to create computer programs. Don’t kid yourself, programming is as fine an art form as any genre of literature we’ve ever created.

We didn’t have this fancy Internet stuff, we spanned the globe and connected with the farthest reaches of civilization through wireless HAM radio, house-to-house networking over pphone lines, satellite, in a way that worked like the Pony Express: messages went from computer to computer to computer until it reached it’s final destination.

This medium, the Internet, is going to fundamentally change the way we perceive politics, the way we control the resources that belong to us.

In many ways we’re living in the greatest of times, and we’re using tools that will spawn a revolution that can only serve to empower the people into being more involved with the way their world operates.

The Digital Evolution of government and politics has been underway for 20 years, and it’s just going to get better, for all of us.

6. JMac August 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

Brett I would agree with everything you said and will add that social media or internet may also lead to the hampering of politics as we know it. Its very easy for a vocal minority to rally troops and give the illusion of support through internet …also, it seems its easy to manipulate readers into seeing a POV without ever having to prove any truth. Although it is essential for a person to always gather the facts before they decide who to support, I think a person will actually have to be much more saavy and sophisticated in the future to be able to keep from being sucked in…in the past you would get an article a day at best in the paper, and maybe go to a meeting..now you get potentially hundreds of articles in an hour and must digest all the good with the bad.

7. Brett August 2, 2010 at 9:12 pm

JMac, I’m starting to bounce around some ideas on Facebook, I’d welcome your input, no one can do this alone, and no individual has all the answers, but we do.

8. gail M August 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Isn’t it great to get those reports. Your site traffic is fantastic and it is due to your content. Great site be proud of your results.

9. David Andersen August 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I just found the site and am glad to have, a little more intelligent conversation over here, and i am not afraid to comment for fear of being classified as a golfing buddie of doug craidg.

10. scot August 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Comment away, David. It would be good to hear some positive things about local politics.

11. Margaret Barr August 4, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Here’s something ‘positive’ about local politics; there’s an election coming soon.

All those who may be disgruntled with the current council can vote them out. Those who are happy with the status quo can vote to leave ’em in office. Either way……VOTE!!!!