The Sh** Hits the Fan! (and everything else)

By  | December 14, 2011 | 6 Comments | Filed under: Local News

A number of residents in Cambridge are cleaning up a stinky situation in their basements, after raw sewage backed up into their homes causing thousands of dollars in damage.
The sewage began backing up into six homes and a church in the Preston Parkway and Linden Drive area around 4:30 p.m. on Monday.

** TAKE NOTE THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS**
WE CALLED THE EMO AND THEY SAID CITY APPROVED THIS THEN WENT SO FAR TO ASK US WHY WE WERE CALLING IF WE HAD A CONCERN

Homeowner Mona Ghaenizadeh discovered the stench in her house just before dinnertime.
“The smell was so bad, I got so sick and I started vomiting and came out…I’m so shocked, I’m so sad for everybody. I don’t want to feel pity and sorry, but this is not fair,” she says.
The backup has since been sealed off and insurance adjusters have begun to calculate the damage to the house.
One neighbour who was also impacted but didn’t want to appear on camera tells CTV News damage at her home is estimated at $30,000, but insurance will only cover a third of that amount.
Now residents are left wondering why it happened at all.
The City of Cambridge says two pumper trucks have been depositing 36 cubic metres of waste at a nearby location every other day.
That waste is coming from the new Conestoga College campus. It began being deposited in June, and will continue until a new pump house is completed in early 2012.

** HOW COULD CITY OF CAMBRIDGE APPROVE A HOLDING TANK IN THE CITY LIMITS – I GUESS NOW I CAN HOOK UP TO THE SEWAGE PIPE THAT IS LOCATED ON MY PROPERTY FROM MY DEVELOPER FRIENDS NEXT DOOR **
Linda Fegan, director of corporate communications for the City of Cambridge, says in an email, “The sanitary sewer system in this area was assessed prior to this temporary arrangement and it was confirmed that the sewer is capable of accepting this waste at the rates delivered.”

**LINDA NEEDS TO PROVE THE DOCUMENTATION -** I KNEW THIS WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME**

An early investigation by the city has found a blockage may have been responsible for the backup.

I GUESS THE CITY NEVER THINKS ABOUT WHAT IF?

“While we cannot confirm the cause of the blockage, early indications suggest it may have been caused by a plastic bag that got into the system and prevented the sewage from moving through the regular channels of disposal,” Fegan says.
Meanwhile Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig has met with residents and says he’s asked city staff to help the residents deal with the situation.
The city plans to continue unloading waste at the location for the time being, and that has some people in the area worried.

** IF YOU ARE IN THIS AREA OR LIVE IN THIS AREA PLEASE TAKE PICTURES **

Resident Amanda Horrod says “I have a lot of concerns, especially for my family. I have two young children and I don’t want anything to happen to my home or them.”
The city says the location was chosen to help minimize disposal costs for Conestoga College and additional work for the city.

THIS IS NOT FAIR TO CONESTOGA COLLEGE! HOW MUCH WILL THIS COST THE CITY TAX PAYERS ONCE AGAIN –

TO VIEW SEE LINK BELOW

About

6 Responses to The Sh** Hits the Fan! (and everything else)

1. Sandra Hill December 14, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Correction – EMO – MOE – Ministry of Environment – They stated City approved and the MOE OK with this decision

2. Dale Lonsbury December 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

Does anyone else think that this may be a sign of things to come?This man hole where the sewage is being dumped is the one and only hook up for the subdivision that the city can’t wait to get started on Limerick Road.So let’s go over what we already know, the new Conestoga facility was allowed to be constructed and is now in use with no permanent sanitary sewar hook up in place.The same people that ok’d this have pushed through a 800 home subdivision on Limerick Road. At the last council meeting with Limerick on the adjenda Janet Babcock made a statement that the property that i am on is large enough to put up to 300 units on,i would guess she is talking about high rise units.There is other properties on this road not owned by developers that are about the same size and then some that are a bit smaller.If you can put 300 units on one of these properties than i would guess that you could put up to 1500 units on the properties that are not included in the plan that the mayor and planning commissioner made council ram through.I was told years ago that my property was being eyed for high rise buildings but i never payed much attention to it untill Janet Babcock reminded me.Since the begining of this nightmare i have been saying that there is a behind closed door adjenda to exterminate the people from Limerick and our commissioner just proved to me that i am right.If you go by what they say when they dismiss any hidden adjenda then how would they know how many units can be put on our lands?I think what people of cambridge should know and mostly the people of Preston Heights and the new would be home buyers in this mess waiting to happen is that the 800 units that they sold to council to approve is not even close to what they have planned.So if dumping sewage down the manhole where the connection is to made for this massive subdivision can cause as much grief for these home owners, just think what will happen when the sewage from 2000 plus new homes starts flowing.Planning staff said that this 800 unit mess just meets the must have numbers in the places to grow act but if i miss my guess it will end up being the highest density mess in this city.I cant believe that the people of Limerick didn’t get a personal visit from Mayor Craig thus far in our hour of need and i think his visit to the homes with the sewage backup was nothing more than damage controll.Just as the people of Limerick so are the people of Preston Parkway no more than collateral damage in this city’s thirst for a larger tax base and to say that a plastic bag may have been the problem here is a bunch of BS.

3. Mrs. R.D.M December 15, 2011 at 8:29 pm

This poor people! Why build a campus before having infrastructure in place? These people can ill afford this. Merry frigging Christmas:(

4. curmudgeon January 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm

The same logic as my post to “biting back”. Anything new relating to this thread?

5. Scot Ferguson-Barber January 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I was told that the pumping has stopped, although I’m not sure why it was started in a residential neighborhood. We plan at looking at the infrastructure across the city, when it was built etc.
    I think of more concern is the Enbridge Situation. There will be a big announcement about that soon.

6. curmudgeon January 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for the update Scot. I agree that Enbridge is the big one but I also see where there is another waste pipe problem in Preston. Time for this city to get there sh*t together I do believe. Thanks is also extended to the Biting Back article. Look forward to reading more on both issues. One disadvantage to being out of town now is missing a post and finding time to catch up.

Ms Barr, thanks for getting in there on “Biting Back” you are the “glue”.