12 Responses to This City and My Patience

1. les kadar June 21, 2011 at 7:35 am

Tammy, it may be water under the bridge, but have you:
    Contacte your councillor, Rick Cowsill, the CAO of the City Jim King.
    They need together with you downtown in a meeting, to know this story as you have written it.
    They then must convene a meeting of staff and figure out how and why it has been mishandled and try to make it right. It may or may not be a real big deal but these are the folks that need to know immediately what is going on inside City Hall and how citizens are being dealt with. There are many other things that could have been done prior to it going south as it has but they may be too late at this point. At the very least, they can provide an extention of the deadline in order that an appropriate assessment of the mess can be taken.
    The city loves to collect taxes to spend but are not always very efficient in enabling the tax payer to continue make those payments affordably if at all. As along time small business owner myself, I am well aware of the mess you are in that can’t always be avoided but should have been. It may be remedied if you manage to get to the right people soon enough now. Both those folks are accessible thru city. If you don’t complain to the right people, it may just happen again and again to someone eles too. Best of luck.

2. Tammy Burden June 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thank you Les.
    I have talked to Rick Cowsill and Donna Reid. Rick has looked into this and has said that the city is over his head and once they’ve made their decision there is nothing he can do about it. The appeals decision is the final decision. I am to go to the meeting and fight my case in person.
    I am seriously considering rounding up as many people as I can to bring to the meeting and fighting this with them behind me.
    If you consider that Hespeler only has 2 Video stores left. One is Video 99 and the other is BB (Name, unmentionable). BB is soon to be closing if luck would have it. So, the residents of Hespeler will be left with Video 99. I’d like to see Hespeler still have Video 99. If this appeals goes south then the last of the true Video stores will go south with it.

3. Iain Davidson June 21, 2011 at 9:22 am

I would be really surprised if this is the only story like this and I don’t think it is a problem only in this city some would say it is under staffing and over work just don’t give a crap might be closer to the truth but in the short time I have been in Cambridge I have seen it before one person being allowed to run rickshaw over the rules and others being rail roaded as they try to make a honest buck and I would submit that if the councillor really cared about the people who he was elected to serve he could make enough of a stink to have the matter looked into if not to save this viable business, in a time when many businesses are failing, but to see how the business of this city is really being mismanaged. Another example of how the city staff are really running this city not those we elected to run it.

4. Scot Ferguson-Barber June 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I contacted Doug Craig about this and he has agreed to meet with Tammy, Donna, Rick, myself and city staff to discuss it.

5. les kadar June 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

It’s too bad Rick feels he is beat up but all you have to do is attend a few council meetings and you’ll see why. Rick as your councillor, should also be in the meeting if for no other reason, out of courtesy to him. You should invite him directly.

Glad to read Doug will sit with you. Ask him to also include Jim King into the meeting as it will save a few additional steps after the meeting and the points will be made to both individuals at the same time.

If all that fails, I think your notion of gathering up a small army is a good one to go before council.
    Remember that the 1st Monday of every month is Camera night so everyone in the region can watch what goes down.

6. Tammy Burden June 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

To be fair to Mr. Cowsill and Donna Reid, they did look into this for us. I also believe that in their position as Councillors, they know that any decision that the Appeals division makes trumps their opinion any day. I am thankful to them for atleast trying to help us out. My landlords are the ones who claim to be trying to rectify this, since they created it, but I doubt they are trying hard enough. They’ve even tried to charge an increase in rent for the work they put into preparing for the two meetings they’ve attended so far. They’ve demanded we sign a new lease with a 6% increase to cover their costs. We laughed at them. So, if I sound frustrated, I am.
    We are very grateful for a chance to talk with Mr. Craig and to have our say. No one has cared about our side of this coin so far.

7. Sandra Hill July 20, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hi Tammy, July 17th has come and gone!
    Not sure if your meeting was set for July 17th or July 27th if you could clarify this for me. To be fair to all business / homeowners in your ward your councilor should not brush this off and take a back set to this matter. You are trying to run a successful business in the City of Cambridge, and you vote in a person in your ward for a reason to stand up for what you believe in. Even though the Landlord miss lead you does not mean it’s wrong to operate a small video business in an area where there is other active businesses operating. I have a story to tell the citizens of Cambridge – my neighbor has been operating a scrap yard for several years and when I requested this be removed as per zoning restrictions do not allow this type of business to operate and the affect of environmental issues that could contaminate my property the by-law officer went on holidays and no one from the City picked up the file.
    Scott – come see me this is a great story that the public needs to here!
    Tammy keep me posted about the meeting with the politicians /city!

8. Scot Ferguson-Barber July 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

I attended the meeting with Tammy and Rob. The problem is that building is zoned industrial, and Video 99 is clearly commercial. This is designated under the “Places to Grow Act” which is provincial territory, hence the involvement of the OMB.
    It’s very doubtful the OMB will rule against the Place to Grow Act, but it is an election year.
    Tammy, I suggest you contact the three provincial candidates and explain your situation.
    Sandra, I’ll be in touch.

9. Tammy Burden July 20, 2011 at 9:51 am

Yes, the 27th is the date for the next meeting. Typing is not my forte when I’m upset. As Scott said, at this point, we believe that meeting with the OMB will prove futile and our only course of action will be to move the store, if we can.
    Will keep y’all posted.

10. Sandra Hill July 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

Under the Place to Grow Act (Hespeler downtown Core)

The legislation makes sure that growth plans reflect the needs, strengths and opportunities of the communities involved, and promotes growth that balances the needs of the economy with the environment.
    Why would the downtown core of Hespeler be zoned Industrial when the town has become a small town atmosphere with small business, local access to Video Store, Water Depot, etc. This gives the public a chance to walk into the downtown and purchase items without the use of a vehicle. You’re kidding me that we are going to waste tax dollars once again to have a small likable Video Store shut down.

Hespeler has experienced considerable growth during the past decade.
    Did City Council adopt a growth management strategy for Hespeler – Did the City apply to the OMB to identity the Hespeler downtown core as an Urban Growth Centre? The City is way off if they keep allowing Industrial growth in Hespeler – Industrial Zoning means Big Tractor Trailers and you’re kidding me that we should allow this in the downtown core of Hespeler. I know there is existing businesses there that need use of Big trucks but we need to review the use of property that makes sense and promotes growth and balance for the public.

When Shawky Fahel wanted approval and money from City Council to build Lofts at the Old American Standard Building (Industrial) this was approved. Who paid for the approval from the OMB? Or did it even get to the OMB?

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber July 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

…inquiring minds want to know…

12. Tammy B August 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I will share our developments in a couple days. Busy times ahead for us.