Time for a Change at the region.

By  | September 11, 2010 | 19 Comments | Filed under: Uncategorized

The one race that i intend to watch is the Regional Councillor race, because in my mind it is time for a change and big time! Claudette Millar and Jane Brewer have been our representatives there and we need new blood at this level especially now with the lRT and rumors of Amalgamation popping up every now and then. Both Claudette and Jane to be nice, are a little up in years and have done their part and i would assume as well as possible, but their time is up at the Region. We need new blood to talk on our behalf and they need to be able to attend more City council meetings as well as regional meetings and the younger crowd will be able to handle that easier than the Grand Dames of the City. And for that i feel that Atinuke Bankole should be a no brainer in that spot, but that leaves 1 position between 2 equally worthy men. Robert Ross and Glen Wetham, the husband of Linda Whetham,current councillor and mayoral candidate. Glen’s winning would be interesting should Linda capture the Mayors chair and give us a united voice at the region and for that reason alone i feel that he would be a good fit. Now I don’t know Robert Ross, but would have no problem if he would grab the other spot. But all I know is that the Change must come in October!  I intend to keep an eye on this race and i hope you do too.

About

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to Time for a Change at the region.

1. Steve Freeman September 11, 2010 at 11:40 am

I don’t like the idea of a Mayor and a representative of the people having a relationship. I do think that Linda will win and having her husband representing us at council would be too much of a conflict of interest. It would raise issues in the community that Linda has two votes at the meetings and doesn’t allow a freedom of thought. We would not have a different point of view. Just my thought!

2. Harold Fontaine September 11, 2010 at 11:58 am

Don’t you think that it would present a stronger front? Going into meetings the other reps would know that we are united in our decisions. It would not bother me at all!

3. rpg September 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

You know what? When it comes down to the vote, less than 30% will show up and of those 30% 1/2 will vote for the incumbents because they have no idea who is who and we will wind up with the same malaise in office that we had before!

4. Margaret Barr September 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Harold, I, too, am in Linda’s corner (so far). But I do NOT like the ‘optics’ of a husband and wife on the same council. Councillors presenting a united front is a good thing. You’re right on that. However, when that ‘united front’ is a husband and wife, IMHO it loses impact.

5. Marino September 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm

If they both win their races, and i hope at least Linda does, it will be an Interesting dilemma. But you have to admit presenting a united front at the region could stir things up, and give Cambridge an advantage, and of course the saving on travel. 2 in one car!!

6. Margaret Barr September 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I thought we already had a pretty ‘united front’ at the region. Claudette Millar is rarely, if ever, in opposition with the mayor. And when Jane Brewer ‘is’ in opposition, IMO she is usually right to be so.

I’m sorry, maybe it’s another of my ‘maybe that’s just me’….but I don’t like family members (especially husband and wife) on the same city/regional council.

On another note, I am very surprised that Linda and Glen think this duel candidacy is a good idea. I think it’s a bad idea, and has me once again questioning Linda’s judgment. I admit I am starting to question that a lot, lately. She is a fine woman, but if I don’t hear some ‘substance’ from her soon, I will support Andrew Johnson. Period. I’m sick to death of all the ‘Doug won’t let me put up signs’, ‘I voted against this or that on city council’ kind of stuff. Again, I want ‘substance’ and ideas for our city’s future.

I don’t vote on ‘personality’. I want someone who not only wants to make changes, but shows me how they intend to make them. I have seen none of that, so far, from my (current) candidate of choice.

When Linda first announced her run for mayor, I went (immediately) on record, (and to her, personally) saying that I supported her, but that I could change my mind. The reason I ‘left a door open’ about ‘could change my mind’ was because, to me, Linda was a better mayoral choice than Doug; but not necessarily the best choice if someone ‘better’ stepped up. I know Linda, personally. I do not know Andrew Johnson. But it is only Johnson, so far, who has demonstrated much ‘substance’. As I said, I don’t vote ‘personality’ or ‘friend’. I vote for ideas, leadership qualities, and backbone. Hopefully, Linda will come forward with some of that, very soon.

With Glen running again for a regional seat, it could appear to voters that Linda needs ‘help’ at the region. Whether she does or doesn’t, it is stil the ‘optics’ that I do NOT like.

I guess I could have saved all the above writing by simply saying “I am very disappointed right now”.

7. Richard Collins September 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm

The regional chair is where we need the change the most, Ken has been in too long there, but is Robert Milligan the right man? Guess i am going to have to find out more about him>

8. Margaret Barr September 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I know nothing of Robert Milligan. Never heard of him (that I can remember, anyway). Finding out about him will keep me pretty busy for the next little while.

9. Jimm Hillis September 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm

He is from new Dundee. I have sent him a e-mail asking for more info to post here, will let you know when and if he sends it.

10. Brian Farris September 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Nobody from Cambridge? Margaret, don’t you think that this would have been the perfect job for Mayor Douggie? Complete control like he needs! To me that makes sense

11. Margaret Barr September 12, 2010 at 1:54 pm

It would be a perfect job for Doug. But I’m willing to bet my very last dollar that Doug would never run for Regional Chair, because he knows he absolutely could not beat Seiling. If Seiling weren’t running, and there was an open field, Doug ‘may’ have a chance of winning. But remember Kitchener and Waterloo have to cast their votes for Regional Chair too; and frankly, Doug could not win a popularity contest (or any other kind of contest) in K/W.

12. Brian Farris September 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Good point Margaret, never thought of that. Oh well, we will find him something to do after the election.

13. ben tucci September 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I’m afraid it really doesn’t matter who we elect to the Region as we are badly outvoted in any event. We need a change to the governance model that presently sees the townships with a fraction of the population have more say than we do. Doug Craig to his credit has been advocating for just that. Glen and Linda on the ballot? I agree with you Margaret, I think it will act as a distraction for voters and quite frankly will cost her votes in the long run. I don’t know who her campaign manager is but….this was not good advice. In terms of the Mayor’s race, I think Doug will rise to the top. Having said that, if I am fortunate to be re-elected, I will continue to work hard with whoever succeeds. You can take that to the bank!
    Best wishes, BEN

14. Robert Ross September 15, 2010 at 8:51 am

What we need is co-operation from all levels of government, the Feds, Province and Region and Cities.
    We need new councils who will work together to promote ALL of the Region, not just Kitchener, Waterloo, etc.
    If Cambridge succeeds then the Region as a whole succeeds.
    We have people on various councils blaming this one or that one for this and that……STOP IT!!!
    Supposedly there is common goal, and even if the current people can not reach a concensus on how to get along, then the
    new crew will. The cities aren’t going anywhere, neither is the Region.
    I have been talking to alot of people and LRT, Amalgamation are fatherest from their minds, they want none of it. They are
    concerned about their jobs, their parents, their kids etc.

We still have a shortage of doctors………what happened to the recruiting?
    We still have backed up ERs….where is the sustainable funding?
    People are being sent out of community for long term care beds….where are the beds?

These issues have been pushed aside, telling us they are the province’s domain.hogwash!!!
    These are community issues, they affect the daily lives of thousands of ratepayers in our community.
    The region can use its political clout to amend these shortfalls, yes it means stepping on toes, yes it means putting one’s
    self out there…..but that is why we are called LEADERS.

If you want to LEAD…….LEAD………otherwise get out of the
    way for those who will!!!

15. John Caffrey October 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

And to add, I have listened to the chair debates and am convinced that Robert Milligan is the right choice for the position, and after listening and reading more on the candidates, I still back Atinuke and have decided on Robert Ross as the second man. Go get ’em people.

16. Thomas Vann October 11, 2010 at 5:54 am

l met Robert Ross and had a very spirited meeting with him. He is a clever fellow and gets my vote hands down. l would take an honest hard working fellow like you Robert any day. You have a great vison of what should be happening for Cambridge. l Hope you win for all of us.

17. Allan Dettweiler October 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

“I’m afraid it really doesn’t matter who we elect to the Region as we are badly outvoted in any event”.
    Ben Tucci

That’s how I felt about Cambridge City Council. Didn’t matter who was elected in the ward I live in. There was a “Voting Block” from the other wards who ruled. It’s enough to pee one off.

18. Margaret Barr October 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Voting tip of the day: If there is a specific regional candidate that you prefer over the others, vote ONLY for that ONE candidate, don’t vote for a ‘second best’. There’s nothing that says a voter has to vote for 2….only that you ‘may’ if you wish.

Voting for only ONE candidate (if you’re really that strong on the person) helps them (a lot) when the votes are counted. Do the math…..Of course, if there are 2 candidates that you really want at the region…vote for both.

19. Margaret Barr October 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Allan, have to agree with you about the ‘voting block’; and if the same councillors are re-elected, we are in for more of the same.