We are not a Liberal, Conservative or NDP site. We are a Cambridge site.

By  | September 28, 2011 | 38 Comments | Filed under: Editorial

We find ourselves making this statement time and time again. With the number of new readers finding us because of the election  I’m going to do it once more, and hopefully we won’t have to do it again for awhile. The owners of the site, myself and Jimm Hillis, are political opposites, even with our choices in the municipal election last October. We welcome all points of view and as long as you don’t engage in personal attacks or obscenities your opinion is more than welcome.

The Citizen is here to provide information and a forum to discuss all aspects of life in Cambridge. If you came here for local  election news we’d like to welcome you, and encourage you to take a look around while you’re here. If there is something you’d like to see here please let us know.

There’s a lot more to this great city than politics.

Tags: ,

38 Responses to We are not a Liberal, Conservative or NDP site. We are a Cambridge site.

1. Brian Gardiner September 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

When you allow Kathryn McGarry’s campaign manager to publish post after post without identifying himself as working for the campaign, then yes, people will assume he speaks for The Citizen, not the Liberal Campaign.

2. Margaret Barr September 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

Brian, you are mostly correct. However, from the first post John Friesen made (and, no, he did not indentify himself) I posted his position as the Liberal Campaign Manager. He certainly did not deny my post; in fact said he was ‘proud’ to be part of Kathryn’s campaign. So I can’t honestly say he is ‘hiding’ his posting agenda.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, it would be more ‘honest’ (if you will) to use, not only his name, but his position as Campaign Manager.

3. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 9:43 am

We allow everyone to send us “post after post.” The more the merrier. Barb isn’t identified as the social media person for the conservatives either, but her leanings are obvious.
    It isn’t our fault the liberals are obviously more adept at social media than the other parties, and that’s something others have pointed out.
    Look at all of their Facebook and Twitter accounts and you’ll see what I mean.

4. Margaret Barr September 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

Scot, Liberals ‘more adept at social media’? Me thinks not. Have you seen Leone’s numerous twitter/facebook/and daily updated web site? If not, you’re not looking…

5. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

LMAO, something just came to me. As Jimm Hillis will confirm, he does most of the posting for us of the material that comes in via submission, and as many of you are aware, Jimm is a card carrying conservative.

6. Brian Gardiner September 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Scott

Anybody associated with one of the parties during a campaign should have to identify themselves as such. I’m not sure who Barb is, haven’t noticed her posts, but the same applies.

Margaret. I didn’t know you had mentioned it, but I don’t always read the comments. As you say, for more honest to just put it up front. However, Scot is fighting for the credibility of the site here. There needs to be a posting rule that anything that comes from a campaign must be clearly stated as doing so.

7. Brian Gardiner September 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

There’s a big difference between card carrying member and working directly for the campaign. And Jim does very little political writing, so that has very little effect. As long as he’s not editing submissions, or approving submissions based on his own leanings, that doesn’t really matter.

8. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

Point taken. Future posts coming in will be labelled as coming from the campaign team.
    Margaret, I just looked at Rob’s Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/RobLeone.CambridgePC
    He talk’s a lot about Hudak but, unlike Kathryn http://www.facebook.com/VoteMcGarry, Leone barely mentions Cambridge.
    Who is paying attention to us?

9. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

With that, I’m going to get some work done.

10. Jimm Hillis September 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

How about we stop posting about the election all together and we get back to the real world where many of us actually live.

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

From their Twitter accounts.

About @robleone

About @AtinukeBANKOLE
    • 107Tweets
    • 12Following
    • 150Followers
    • 22Listed

12. Barb Bierman September 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm

By the way – I’m Barb and I’ve posted 2 articles and participated in lots of conversation on this site – nice to meet you!

Social Media is about a network so Scot’s stats just above only give a slight, narrow picture. Candidates often don’t tweet, fb or post themselves because they are so busy canvassing and meeting people – there are others who get that done. It’s about an overall message. It’s a combination of e-news (and we have thousands of subscribers), fb, twitter & blogs together.

Don’t you guys wonder why you have to “prove” you’re not Liberal so often? That could be the cyber-world trying to tell you something! What did Shakespeare say? “Methinks he doth protest too much!”

13. Jimm Hillis September 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I thought I was a Citizen of Cambridge and the politicians were trying to represent me, but I guess i am wrong. Did not know I needed a label, to me that is a sad statement of politics and society as a whole.

14. Johnny September 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I think its quite comical that this is all the PCs have to complain about.
    If someone hasn’t yet figured who I am does not seem like a problem for Scott to deal with.

To those that haven’t yet figured it out, I’m a Liberal. A proud Liberal. You may remember me from such events as every debate in Cambridge during this election. The PCs could have simply taken the measure of showing up at debates and seeing me with Kathryn.

Better yet, their candidate could have stopped by to talk to Cambridge voters.

As for Rob’s social media attempts… With Barb as the social media coordinator on his campaign I would be worried. She has been tweeting since 2009 with little more than 100 tweets, but I did discover details of her failed municipal bid.

But just so you know, Barbie is right on one thing when she says, “Social Media is about a network” Too bad her candidate figure this out sooner. I recall Rob saying at his nomination that he would move to the riding “IF” he was nominated. Maybe if he had made the commitment to Cambridge an unconditional component of his running – he may have had time to develop a stronger network.

John

15. Allan Dettweiler September 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I hope I have a dream that has me posting 100’s of articles on THE CITIZEN, and then I win the election!
    I mean, that’s about as good as it will get.

16. Allan Dettweiler September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Can someone tell me – should I begin campaigning for the 2015 election on October 7th?
    Oh heck, I’ll wait for the first broken promise.

17. Johnny September 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Allen, I’ve said it before that I hope you take thousands of votes from the PCs. Keep up the pressure on the Tea Party (PCs).

18. Micheal Branthover September 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

It’s all a game that the politicians play and we are the chess pieces they use.

19. Jimm Hillis September 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

but we are the pawn pieces in it.

20. Hags September 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Scot, oh addled one. Jimm does not get involved much in the politcal debates. If he is conservative, he is decidedly quiet about it. Now you my friend ‘are’ a raving leftist loon, much like Rory, John, Johnnie, Bill et al.
    So, the fact the Jimm stays out of politics hardly makes your Citizen slant a 50/50 left right split.
    In short Jimmmm, damn, too many m’s!….is a gentleman and would prefer not to ruffle feathers. Me, I’d fight liberal arrogance 24/7 even if I was the only one on this ‘liberal’ site doing it.

21. Jimm Hillis September 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for the comment Hags, now I am off to make some more tax dollars for whomever winds up being the taxer.

22. Margaret Barr September 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Johnny, I see you have been reduced to attempt and use personal attacks against Leone’s Social Media Coordinator (the VERY capable Barb). It’s a shame to see the Liberal Campaign Manager stoop to such a low-level. I have never seen anything here (or anywhere) by Leone or his team, that has ever been ‘personal’ about you or your candidate. In fact, myself, Barb and others here have been criticized for openly recognizing Kathryn’s community service; it’s been said we’re too ‘soft’ on you guys. I say better the high road, than the one you may be started down…Just a little advice from an older woman…apologize.

23. Scot Ferguson-Barber September 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hags, I don’t have to go back that far to see all your comments about me supporting the NDP, which were pretty much the same.
    I have the same right as anyone to voice my opinion.
    it’s not my fault I’m more convincing in my indisputable logic than you others. .

24. Johnny September 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Margaret, my attacks are not personal, they are factual. And by the way, I will never apologize simply because I’m asked to do so. (my wife could attest to this) It might be my German stubbornness, but I suspect it is simply just the fact that i have nothing to apologize for.

Your assertion that I am stooping to a low level is about as true as Tim Hudak saying he didn’t say “foreign workers”

I could get nasty and start attacking, but I choose to use facts and explain some of the unfounded comments.

I did even give Barb props for getting some stuff right (see above post).

25. Hags September 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Margaret, like I said before, local liberals are following the advice of Dalton’s atack dog Warren Kinsella…and like good little storm troopers, they are just following orders to ‘kick the living sh!! out of their opponent. Don’t get angry, they’re only mindlessly adhereing to the leader’s plan.

26. Johnny September 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Ummm Hags, I have to correct you on this one. I kick butt because that’s how I roll, not because someone says so.

Bu the “following orders to ‘kick the living sh!! out of their opponent.” line could be just as easily applied to the PC or NDP too don’t you think?

Is Margaret really angry at me though?

27. Hags September 30, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Sorry Johnny, but its always liberals who cry loudest about dirty tricks and personal attcks. Glad to see that you and your cabal have allowed yourselves to surpass the NDP and even the dreaded Tories in sheer and outright unapologetic nastiness.
    And…’how you roll’…that’s the talk of an Iraq war veteran NOT the talk of a latte sipping ,silk stockinged socialist…get a grip or next you’ll have Dalton as a tank commander.

28. Margaret Barr September 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Johnny, I’m not angry with you at all. I was too busy out working for Rob Leone today to get much posting done. Politics may be a ‘blood sport’ to some. But not to me. We will go for a Friday-morning quarter back meeting, right after the election. Just name the time and place. I can ALWAYS separate politics from personal…don’t understand others who can’t (‘Loser’ buys the coffee..have your money ready!)

29. Mike Cahill September 30, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Hi Hags, hows things ? I was thinking maybe you ask Johnny more specific questions about the local Liberal campaign strategy. For example, how is it kosher for McGarry and Chris Bentley (the Attorney General) to cold call door to door at every lawyers office in town. Just curious.

30. Hags October 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

Mike, ‘appropriate’? Wouldn’t sleazy be a more apt decsription? Mike I wished you posted more about Atinuke…she is obviously a great candidate and not many sing her praises…don’t the NDP do social media?

31. Mike Creighton October 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Just a little more on promotion and what is on these pages, personally I don’t care what peoples believes are when it comes to politics. I enjoy reading this site and look forward to the end of this election and a chance to get some good reading back on this site, but as for the use of this by the Liberals It seems that they are the only ones that are really making good use of the alternative forms of advertising and self promotion. Last night i picked up the issue of the Hespeler Happenings and the political party to advertise in it was the liberals, nothing from anyone else. Maybe the publisher didn’t go after the other party’s for ads but I don’t think that is his job, it is the responsibility of the party to seek out these smaller alternative papers and websites and use them to there best advantage

32. Scot Ferguson-Barber October 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Mike, all parties were contacted by Jimm about advertising.
    You are not the only one who will be glad when the election is over, but it’s brought us a lot of new readers.
    We have stories we have been holding until the election is over, but I’ll post some now.

33. Bill Kirby October 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

@Hags… “mindless adherance” sounds more like you were speaking of Margarets desire to vote for anything blue regardless of ability, pulse, or actual honest desire to represent our community. Talk about blind devotion.

34. Margaret Barr October 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Bill, I do not have ‘blind devotion’ to vote for anything blue. I do have devotion to not knowingly vote for someone who has lied to Ontarians over and over again, as McGuinty has done. In a Toronto interview yesterday, on the subject of taxation, Mcguinty even admitted that he knew he “had asked a lot of Ontario” since becoming premier, but promised (again) not to raise taxes, if re-elected..just as he has promised before.

I guarantee you that if the Conservatives govern and lie to me, I will feel the same about them during the next election.

35. Margaret Barr October 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

It’s always fun to argue politics. But the truth is we can go back and forth here until the cows come home, and it won’t make any difference to the voters. By now most folks already know which party will be getting their vote; and none of them made up their minds based on anything written here…or elsewhere.

Those who will actually get up off their couches and go to the polls, will do so based on any number of reasons; party allegiance, liking or not liking a candidate personally, because their friends/family recommended a certain candidate/party, because they have particular concerns about an issue that may impact their own lives, because they feel one a candidate was better in a debate…and on and on and on. But no one who cares enough to vote in the first place is going to vote for someone based on a newspaper’s recommendation…or on mine….or yours here.

It is fun, though…..

36. Jimm Hillis October 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Here you go Margaret, check this out

It will relax you

37. Mike Cahill October 2, 2011 at 1:25 am

Hi Hags. I have discussed social media and the Citizen numerous times with Atinuke. I pointed out, weeks before the writ was dropped what the other candidates were doing on Twitter and Facebook. I hold no membership with any party and i do so by choice. My comments are my own.
    In other words, no one invited me to play on their team. The Libertarians could have bought me with two pints of Carlsberg but so far, no phone calls. Alas.

38. Allan Dettweiler October 2, 2011 at 8:22 am

Oh Michael, I am starting to more fully understand what I knew all along.
    For a political party to get elected, they have to do favours.
    If I were to buy two pints of Carlsberg for every voter, I would go broke. I would be destitute. I would need government assistance.
    Now, I might consider buying you two pints if you were to first buy me 4 pints – I’ll take Flying Monkee – thank you!
    Maybe sometime – even after the election is over, I can buy you a pint, and we can talk this over further.