Why local conservatives are not supporting Gary Goodyear

By  | April 30, 2011 | 38 Comments | Filed under: 2011 Federal Election, Politics

At the Provincial Conservative Meeting on April 16th, single sheets of paper were handed out to everyone entering the building. The paper was a written endorsement of candidate Rob Leone by Federal Minister of Science and Technology Gary Goodyear.
Many candidates and members were outraged at Goodyear’s blatant interference in the provincial meeting and thought it was unfair.
Rob Leone defeated Andrew Johnson by one vote, and that vote was a ballot that would probably would have been discarded as “spoiled”’ as it was obvious one candidate had been chosen, but then erased and was changed later by the voter.. Ken Zeise, President of the Ontario PC Organization, decided to allow the ballot as a tiebreaker.
After the meeting, several of the candidates have let their displeasure be known. Yasmeen Sultana, who is said to have brought more members to the party than any other candidate, has resigned her membership in the PC Party. Several of those who ran for the nomination have returned their Goodyear signs, and have contacted their supporters and asked that they don’t support Goodyear.

Tags: , ,

38 Responses to Why local conservatives are not supporting Gary Goodyear

1. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm

OMG! Here I am just ready to get off this site and get some sleep, and you throw this up here, Scot. You know I’m on here right now! Am I supposed to comment?

Well………..here’s my ONLY comment. ” I never returned any Goodyear signs; no one else from my nomination campaign did either (that I know of, anyway!)

2. Newsfan April 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Politics. One of the few, remaining, full contact sports. But, Margaret, some people know better. What goes around, comes arond. Night.

3. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

No one knows any better. Neither myself or any members of my team returned Gary’s signs. Period.

4. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Newsfan, you are right about one thing; what goes around, does come around.

5. Newsfan April 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Kind of has a Nixon/Clintonesque sound to it. The ‘p’ word is coming soon.

6. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Okay, you have me on this one. What is the ‘p’ word?

7. Newsfan April 30, 2011 at 11:25 pm

NEW HEADLINES

Scot’s Poop Scoop

A SIGN, A SIGN

You Don’t Know Hypocrite

GARY’S SHEET – THE SUPER PICKER UPPER

ONE IS THE LONLIEST NUMBER

8. Scot Ferguson-Barber April 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Are you to here already? Didn’t I give you a corner to play in?
    The emails were widely circulated, and I don’t know if she has her Gary signs or not.
    I know someone who doesn’t. I have to wonder if Victoria Clark is going to change her nickname from “Tory” now.
    Also, someone asked a question on Andrews Facebook about Gary not showing up for a debate at PHS. Andrew dodged the debate question, but admitted that “My wife is even considering voting NDP.”
    This is not about Harper or Layton, but a direct backlash in reaction to Gary’s actions.

9. Scot Ferguson-Barber April 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm

?? Newsfan, have you been hanging with the Marijuana Party?

10. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Sorry, Scot..you know I luv ya’, but you gotta’ prove to me that Andrew made a commment like that; unless it was in complete jest!

11. Scot Ferguson-Barber April 30, 2011 at 11:46 pm

From his Facebook.
    Andrew Johnson Sorry Gary! Orange! Love it. My wife is even considering voting NDP. While it kills me to think of this, rather NDP (a party with principles) than Liberal (a party with none). I think I’ll have her back in the Tory fold by Monday. No point peaking too soon, eh? 🙂
    Thursday at 00:04 · LikeUnlike · 2 people
    Loading…Andrew Johnson Yes, I know about the letters. Sometimes things get personal; trust me, Gary has not exactly done me any favours in the past 10 days. Endorsing my opponent in a nomination for a 171-170 victory isn’t the most endearing action. BUT, he still has my respect and my support. We’ll have to agree to disagree! Best of luck on Monday! I have many ORANGE friends. They have always helped me succeed municipally!
    Thursday at 00:06 · LikeUnlike

12. Margaret Barr April 30, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Johnson was clear that he still gives Goodyear his support. The “NDP comment” regarding his wife sounds as though it was said in jest and Andrew followed it up with saying he would get her back in the Tory fold, prior to May 2. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo???????Where’s the beef?

13. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 12:03 am

I doubt it. Conservatives never joke about voting NDP.

14. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 12:04 am

Tantamount to blasphemy.

15. MUD May 1, 2011 at 12:19 am

Even people are asking Harper why his own people are cateloguing his gaffes. I think he’s on shaky ground in his own party.

16. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 12:20 am

What’s the difference between the federal and provincial conservatives? Are they both considered Progressive Conservatives? Thety are both conservatives in my opinion.Can somone explain?

17. Malcolm May 1, 2011 at 3:06 am

Never had never will have a Goodyear sign to remove. Mr. Johnson should have contested the one vote going after Leone’s campaign Manager Mr. Dancy who voted but doesn’t live in the riding. If Mrs. Dancy voted and Mr. Leone neither who live in the riding, Johnson would have won. The fault goes to the OPCP and the nominating committee for allowing this to take place. Personally I would like to see the proof allowing this interferance in the OPCP constitution. Smells similar to the scandal/gaffe plagued Harper government. No majority for Harper. Far too much of intellectual visiting professors, Stephen Dion, Michael Ignatieff now Rob Leone. Not enough real people, no seat for Mr. Leone in October.

18. Brian Gardiner May 1, 2011 at 8:16 am

Lets see if I have this right. Gary Goodyear backed a Provincial candidate. Upset by having Goodyear suggest who they support, “several of those who ran for the nomination have… contacted their supporters and asked that they don’t support Goodyear.”

Or rather, you can’t tell us who to support, but we’ll damn well tell our supporters who to support.

No wonder people avoid politics.

19. Malcolm May 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

Conservative Party is the home of anger, intolerance and blind partisanship.

20. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

This should be Gary’s campaign song.
    httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkPmarU8lw

21. Margaret Barr May 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

Scot, still at it this morning, I see! It’s okay to comment on a story, sometimes not so okay to comment when one is part of the story. But ‘okay’ or not, I feel the need to clear up a few issues discussed above.

1. I would never think to try and speak for Sultana; whether she officially resigned from the PCs and Federal Conservatives or not, I do not know. Naturally, emotions were running very high right after the nomination process; and, yes, you are right, she did circulate an email to the media and all involved, saying she was resigning from both party levels…whether she followed through, only she can say. But from what I gleaned from Sultana’s email, she had intentions to resign over what she felt was an “unfair” process in several ways. I’m not sure her issues had a lot, if anything, to do with Gary’s endorsement of Rob. But again, she would be the only one who could say for sure.

2. There was considerable prior and lengthy discussion, between the nominee candidates and the nomination committee, about whether it was “appropriate” for Gary to make a speech at the PC nomination. None of the candidates, save for one, thought it was a good idea. But in the final days, all were advised by the committee that Gary would be speaking, whether nominee candidates were in agreement or not. We were assured that Gary’s speech would be about him and his federal candidacy; and that he would not get on the stage and endorse Rob or anyone else. After much discussion about where Gary would appear in the ‘line-up’, it was agreed that he would speak while the first ballots were being counted; AFTER the nominee candidates had made their speeches.

It was surprising to all of us (except Rob, of course) to arrive and find that Gary’s team had set up a table of brocures, etc. at the front entrance, and Gary’s written endorsement of Rob was being distributed. Some candidates felt that since they had been long-time Gary supporters and, yes,personal friends, that they were betrayed by Gary. Okay, I will say it..I felt that way too. But for the record, I handled the siutation the same as I always try to handle any similar situation. I went right to Gary, at the nomination meeting, and gave him a good chunk of my mind (not so nicely, either, sad to admit). After about an hour, I went back to Gary and apologized for my outburst. For me that was the end of it..Had my say. Apologized. Done. Over. It was clear to me from the buzz in the room, that Gary’s endorsement had not helped Rob,(if it did help, that help was miniscule) but, yes, it may have hurt Gary a little. Supporters from every camp(not just nominee candidates) were talking all over the place about thinking Gary’s endorsement was an ‘interference’; and they were disappointed in him enough that they said they would not support him on May 2. I get that. As I said, emotions were running high.

3. Scot, it’s not entirely fair to the other candidates to say they ‘contacted’ their supporters and asked them not to vote for Gary. The truth is those same supporters made up their own minds right at the nomination meeting. Again, the only email I have where a candidate says they are contacting their supporters and asking them to resist voting for Goodyear, is the same one the media and all others have; it is the Sultana email.

4. As far as I have been told, directly, one candidate did return her signs and another candidate’s campaign manager returned hers. I know of no others.

Those are the facts; It’s hardly fair to have a headline screaming “why local conservatives are not supporting Gary Goodyear”. It would be far more accurate to write “why some local conservatives won’t be supporting Goodyear”…….Not trying to tell you your job, darlin’…just trying to keep things completely factual; and keep you on your dainty toes!

BTW I think that tomorrow night, Gary’s song may very well be “Oops, I’ve done it again”. But that will be his victory song, not his swan song.

22. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying things, Margaret. (This does not mean I am going to leave you alone in my animations. The stage is set, the script is writ, when you see it you’ll have a fit!)

23. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Headlines are supposed to scream, you know that. 🙂

24. R.F. May 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Speaking of local Conservatives, Gary wasn’t even in Cambridge yesterday.

An FYI on the travels of Gary…in St. Catharines yesterday….not even in Cambridge or North Dumfries! Gary’s decided that mud slinging in Welland is more important than meeting and listening to the people of Cambridge & North Dumfries. Shame really.

“Villella started the day with Minister of State Gary Goodyear at her side at a press conference in Welland. Goodyear attacked Allen for saying he lobbied Goodyear’s office for funding for local projects.

“I never had a phone call from him, an e-mail from him and not one conversation,” Goodyear said about Allen’s statements that he lobbied his ministry for funding for projects at Brock University and Niagara College.

Allen fired back saying Goodyear was lying. “I can show you the letters. You can check the Hansard (the record of the debates in the House of Commons). Goodyear tried to do this in 2009. He was wrong then, and he is wrong now,” Allen said. “Either he is lying or he is incompetent. He can take his pick. I’d say he is an incompetent liar.”

FROM – THE STANDARD – http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3102151

25. Margaret Barr May 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I know I’m starting to sound like a record here, but the truth may well be that Gary was helping where he was needed, yesterday. I doubt that he is too worried about not being re-elected in Cambridge.

A politician is always damned if they do and damned if they don’t. It comes with the territory. If a local politician doesn’t make cabinet, they are maligned as a ‘back-bencher’; unworthy of note by the PM. If they make cabinet (as Gary has) then folks should understand that their political responsibilities are often well outside the local riding; even during campaigns.

26. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’d like to know more about Gary not showing up at Preston High School last week for the All Candidates debate. I thought we were supposed to be encouraging our kids to vote.what kind of a message does it send when the incumbent doesn’t show up?

27. Margaret Barr May 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Haven’t got a clue about the PHS debate. Didn’t even know there was one until you brought it up here, Scot. Why don’t you call and ask Gary directly? I’m sure he could explain. No politician skips out on a debate, unless they have a very good reason (illness, serious family matters, etc.)..GO get your own info on this one; you’ve done a pretty good job, so far, of getting your own info (though, I’ve had to straighten you out just a little on some of it!:-)

28. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm

The election will be over long before they get back to me, Margaret. I’m hoping to hear from someone who was there.

29. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 6:11 pm

We have been getting a large number of hits from Ottawa the last few days, and there are two guys in dark suits parked in a SUV outside my place…you may never hear from me again.

30. Margaret Barr May 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Oh Scot, never hear from you again? Don’t promise me such wonderful things! 🙂

31. Elvis May 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Hits from Ottawa! That`s Paul Anka country. I was there in April 1957.

Ty, tyvm
    Elvis

32. Malcolm May 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Okay I buy that Paul Anka stuff, so I have fired up my jukebox for my grandsons to remember me. We were just kids in the fifties, we were innocent we knew nothing but the music was great. My oldies and Goldies 45`s is a legacy to them. Five hundred plus tunes of the fifties and about two thousand 33 1/3 and 78’s back to Al Jolson. Hey look at me I never left. YET

33. Scot Ferguson-Barber May 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

We had over 1,000 page views by 5 o’clock today, over 10,000 over the past week. A lot of people are still looking and asking questions

34. Newsfan May 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm

More like looking for a good fight! VOTE GARY GOODYEAR! VOTE CONSERVATIVE! VOTE! THANK YOU CAMBRIDGE CITIZEN FOR BEING A FAIR, HOMOROUS AND GRACIOUS HOST!!! You have served us well.

35. Newsfan May 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Whoops! Humorous even.

36. Jimm Hillis May 1, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I was wondering if you were hinting at something there!

37. NoGary May 5, 2011 at 12:53 am

The April 16th fiasco was only one of many many reasons local Conservatives shied away from Gary. A number of Gary’s former executives and key campaign volunteers couldn’t have been paid to support or vote Goodyear because of his behaviour with his riding association…never mind volunteer. Gary had his “former” Chief of Staff run his campaign (“former” in that he resigned mere weeks before the campaign).

Gary definitely gained ground from voters in this election, but that was despite Conservatives leaving him. I personally fought for a decade for a Conservative majority…but the thought of the ingrate Goodyear still in office takes any of that joy away.

As for his song, I joke at home that the theme song for Gary should be White Liar by Miranda Lambert. I grin knowingly every time I hear it.

38. Ryan Kavanaugh May 20, 2011 at 3:08 am

If the Conservatives didn’t support him then who voted for him? Another case of people ranting but not carrying through with their plan. In the end Goodyear was still the best choice for this city.